Skip to main content

Currently, Colorado Mesa University students have opportunities to study at another institution both nationally and internationally through International Student Exchange Program or National Student Exchange in either an Exchange or Direct option.  Financial Aid is available for all eligible students who participate with these programs, and eligibility is determined by Federal, state, and institutional guidelines.  Students who participate in any of the student exchange programs, regardless of the program or option they choose, will be charged as being enrolled full time.

*See below for financial aid options and availability.

 International Student Exchange Program (ISEP)

 Direct Program:

  • Student can use Federal Financial Aid for up to two semesters.
  • CMU Scholarships are not applicable, as the student is not enrolled in classes nor paying CMU tuition and/or fees.
  • Disbursement of funds is based on standard term dates at CMU.
  • Funds cannot be released prior to 10 days before the start of the term of enrollment at CMU.

Exchange Program:

  • Student can use Federal Financial Aid for up to two semesters.
  • Student can use CMU Institutional scholarships for only one semester.
    • Note that the Ambassador Scholarship is not included, due to the service component of this scholarship.
  • Other annual or endowed scholarships administered through or by the Financial Aid Office will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

For more information on ISEP and how to apply:

National Student Exchange (NSE)

HOST University Payment (Plan A):

  • Student eligible to apply for financial aid and scholarships at the host school.
  • If choosing Plan A, the student should list the host school's code on the FAFSA.

HOME University Payment (Plan B):

  • Student will continue paying tuition and fees to CMU and will still be eligible to receive financial aid, scholarships, and the COF (if applicable) while on exchange.

For more information on NSE and how to apply:

Satisfactory Academic Progress

  • Student receiving merit and/or federal aid who does not complete a semester’s program abroad for either voluntary or involuntary withdrawal, the student is subject to all CMU, state and/or Federal regulations regarding total withdrawal for a semester.  See Terms and Conditions of Financial Aid on the MAVzone, under the Student Finance tab for details.
  • Aid for future semesters is dependent upon receipt of a final transcript, and posting it to the CMU record.


Please contact IRIS at 970-248-1177 or by email at [email protected].