Skip to main content

Colorado Field Placement & Licensure

Colorado Mesa University's Education programs meet the requirements for licensure in the state of Colorado. CMU Teacher Education students are required to complete their field hours within the state of Colorado. Placements are arranged between a local school district and the Center for Teacher Education, and are typically within our 14-county western slope community of school districts. While graduates have successfully obtained licensure in other states, at this time, CMU does not offer placement outside of Colorado.

Seeking Licensure Outside of Colorado

Educator and principal licensure requirements vary by state. Graduates of Colorado Mesa University’s teacher education programs who seek a license in the United States outside of Colorado will have to apply to that state for review. Where reciprocity between states cannot be determined, that state will evaluate an individual’s credentials on a case by case basis. The other state will either issue their equivalent of an initial license OR issue a temporary teaching license so that the applicant may be employed while completing any outstanding requirements.

Follow the links below and consult the specific requirements of the desired state, looking at information for “out of state applicants.” In general, we recommend securing the Colorado license first in order to expedite the review process in other states.