Skip to section navigation Skip to main content

Move in Information


Move in:

 Friday, August 14: 9 AM-5 PM

 Saturday, August 15: 10 AM - 3 PM

 Sunday, August 16: 11 AM - 2 PM

 * Go directly to your residence hall to check in

First Day of classes: Monday, August 17


Move-in starts on Saturday, January 116th, 2016 at 8:00am. Please go to your assigned hall to check in. The first day of school is Tuesday, January 19, 2016.

We will only accept early arrivals based on your involvement with a current student group, organization, athletic team or requested by your professor, advisor or instructor. For athletics, your coaches will submit a list of approved players to check in early. All other groups, you will need your advisor, professor, or instructor to contact us (in writing) and indicate you have been approved for early arrival.

Yes we do charge a daily rate, unless your athletic team, organization, group or professor is covering your early arrival charge.

You can move in late, although you may miss some valuable orientation, programming, connection with other residents and of course class time. Please contact your hall Area Coordinator or Hall Coordinator and inform them of the day and time you plan on arriving. This way, they will keep the room and bed that is assigned in your name.

If you do not contact us, you give up the right to that room and bed and you will be counted as a no show. The cost for being counted as a no-show is full semester room and board charge to your student account.

Go to the front desk of the hall you are assigned to and they will assist you. If it will be very late (after midnight), you will need to call the Resident Assistant on call to assist you with your check in to your room. Follow the instructions posted on the main door of the residence hall.

No. We have neither the storage or manpower to handle these types of requests.

No, you will need to stay at a hotel. We experience most of our residents arriving on the first day. Which means if your student is in a double bedroom, the chances of their roommate being there is very good and they need this time to get to know each other to create that roommate bond.

Rooms are furnished with extra-long twin single beds, desks, chairs, and drawer space for each student. They also include closets, general lighting, and blinds/curtains. Unless you are in a single room, you will be sharing with at least one other person. Do not bring extra furniture and bulky things, at least until you’ve settled in and had a chance to determine what you really need.

What to Bring (pdf form to print)

  • Extra-long twin sized sheets
  • Towels and wash cloth
  • Pillow and pillow cases
  • Blankets, comforter or bedspread
  • Telephone
  • Clothes hangers
  • Desk lamp (NOT HALOGEN**)
  • Key or combination lock
  • Shower sandals
  • Plate, cup and a set of utensils
  • Bathroom supplies (soap, shampoo, toothbrush, etc.)
  • Laundry supplies (basket, detergent, fabric softener, etc.)
  • Umbrella
  • Alarm clock
  • School supplies (backpack, notebooks, binders, paper, pencils, pens, erasers, ruler, etc.)

MOVE-IN TIP: If you bring your own hand truck/cart, your move will be easier.

*Please note that all beds on campus are extra-long, and that XL twin sheets will fit best. The Residence Hall Association (RHA) has partnered with Residence Hall Linens to make sure our students have an easy to find, affordable way to purchase any bedding and campus living needs. Please visit the RHL website

**Please note: due to safety concerns, halogen lights are not permitted.

Housekeeping services are provided in common areas only. We do not clean your room during the semester. A vacuum is available for use in your room, and you may want to bring a few cleaning supplies like a spray cleaner and sponge. Free basic cable TV hookup is available in all rooms.


Because of room sizes and electrical levels, only one refrigerator and microwave per double room, two (2) refrigerators and microwaves per triple/quad room maximum. Please coordinate with your roommate on who is bring what item.

On opening weekend:

Go directly to the hall to which you have been assigned. Staff will be there to welcome you and give you your room assignment and more information. After 5 pm staff may not be immediately available to assist you. Students are strongly encouraged to check in between 8 am and 5 pm.

Bunting Hall

1280 Cannell Avenue: 970.250.5342

Grand Mesa Hall

1200 Houston Avenue: 970.270.5891

Monument Hall

1102 Elm Avenue: 970.270.5890

North Avenue Hall

936 North Avenue: 970.250.4591

Pinon Hall

1159 Mesa Avenue: 970.270.5894

Rait Hall

1115 Texas Avenue: 970.270.5893

Tolman Hall

1140 Texas Avenue: 970.270.5894

Garfield Hall

1600 Cannell Avenue: 970.361.2903

Walnut Ridge Apartments

1120 Texas Avenue: 970.270.5894

Orchard Avenue Apartments

1062 Orchard Avenue: 970.270.5892

After 5:00 pm: You can check in by going to your assigned hall, contacting the RA On Duty who will check you in.


Parking passes will be sold at the University Center Information Desk during opening weekend. Be sure to pay attention to parking meters and signs in order to avoid getting a ticket. For any further parking questions contact Parking Services/University Center Info Desk at 970.248.1758.

Please visit Parking Services for more information on Parking Permit costs

FALL semester move-in: Roommate assignments are made in early May. You will have the opportunity to pick your roommate within the MyHousing website. You will be sent an email directing you to a link where the information will be available.

The best way to get you and your belongings here is to have your parents or a friend bring you. Some outside carriers will hold the items you ship for one or more days at a nominal charge. Be sure to allow time to arrange for getting your belongings from the shipping destination to your room. Reservations and/or prepayment may be required. Insurance may also be offered. Check what is available in your area. We are unable to accept any packages arriving prior to move-in day, and we cannot allow shipping companies direct access to student spaces.

Each residence hall is headed by an Area Coordinator or Hall Coordinator, a professional staff member who oversees the residential program in their living community. Each hall or area within the unit is staffed with well trained and enthusiastic student staff who serve as resident assistants and desk attendants. They assist with the residents’ educational and social activities and help maintain community standards.

The primary goal of Residence Life Staff is to facilitate the formation of a community that encourages academic success and cultural development of students living in the residence halls and apartments. This purpose extends beyond merely providing basic needs such as food and shelter; it also encourages the development of active living and learning environments.

The Tutorial Learning Center (TLC) provides free, walk-in tutoring for a wide variety of subjects. Goals of the TLC are:

  • To create opportunities for student success
  • To help students become more independent with their learning

The Tutorial Learning Center is located in Houston 110, with some additional availability at Western Colorado Community College and the Montrose campus.

Hours: Houston 110: Monday through Thursday 8:00 AM to 7:00 PM ; Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM

WCCC: Monday 10:00 AM- 1:00 PM; Wednesday 2:00 - 5:00 PM; and Thursday 3:00-5:00 PM

A detailed schedule of tutor availability per subject is available at the Tutorial Learning Center

Subject Schedule

Students who live in the residence halls or apartments located on the campus of Colorado Mesa University have Internet access via an Ethernet or wireless connection. The rest of this page explains the Ethernet connection.

What is Needed

Novell Account -- A Novell user name and password is necessary to register the computer when it is first connected to the network.

Ethernet patch cable -- An Ethernet category five (CAT5) patch cable is necessary to connect the computer to the data port located on the wall of the dormitory room. These can be purchased at office supply stores or electronics stores. Patch cables are sold in various lengths. There is no requirement for the length. The cable should have "CAT5" written on it somewhere.

Network Interface Adapter -- The computer must have a small circuit board called a network interface adapter (NIC). Most computers, laptops and desktops, come with a NIC built in. If the patch cable can be plugged into the computer somewhere, the computer has a NIC. The image below shows where to connect the patch cable on a typical desktop computer.

Working computer -- Although the Information Technology Department at Colorado Mesa will diligently attempt to get every dorm resident's computer connected to the network, the IT Department cannot repair a student's computer.

License Agreement -- Certain restrictions apply. All students must read and agree to the license agreement during the first time registration of the computer.

Connecting the Patch Cable

Simply connect a CAT5 Ethernet cable to the back of the computer and to the data port which is located adjacent to the telephone jack in the dormitory room. The cable will not connect to the wrong port on the computer or on the wall. Many computers look like this,



Most desktop computers have a small light near where the cable connects. When this light is glowing or flashing, the cable is connected and working. Some computers have two of these tiny lights.

First Time Registration

Once the patch cable is connected, simply turn on the computer and open Internet Explorer. The "DHCP Registration Page" will automatically appear. When it does appear, enter your Novell user name and password. Then click the "Login" button, follow the instructions, and read the license agreement.

Getting Help

Students needing assistance can make an appointment with a technician who will come to their room. To make an appointment, simply go to the front desk of the dormitory and sign the appointment sheet. If for some reason you are not in your room when the technician comes by, please make another appointment. Residents of Walnut Ridge Apartments will find the appointment sheet hanging on the Resident Director's door.

License Agreement

Use of the Internet access in the halls and apartments located on the Colorado Mesa University campus is governed by a license agreement. To read and the full test of the agreement, click here.

The IT department also provides on-site technical support for in-room data connections and other computing support that you may need. Each hall is assigned a IT Computer support student staff. They will have a sign-up sheet located at each front desk.

We are committed to providing a safe and secure environment for students in the residence halls. There are desk attendants located at the front desk of each of the residence halls. Walnut Ridge Apartments and Elm Hall do not have a desk attendant staff. Desk Attendants are student staff who have been hired to work in the residence halls. Their main responsibilities include signing in guests, and monitoring the safety of the buildings, handing out packages and checking out equipment.

Grand Junction Police Department offers a variety of campus programs and safety services.

Campus Safety Officers are available to students by calling 970.260.2683. Uniformed, cell phone-equipped and trained student Campus Safety Assistants provide a walking escort to nearby residences, class room buildings, library, athletic facilities, public transportation or parking facilities during the evening hours.

Students living in on campus residence halls will receive all telephone service through the Information Technology Department.

Your meal plan will be automatically loaded on your MAVcard, which is your student identification card.

For meal plan information, meal plan FAQ, locations, hours and menus, please visit our website. Questions? E-mail us at


If you haven't already gotten your MAVcard [student identification card], you will need to get it before checking into your room/apartment. Your card also has a debit account that you can easily add money to at the MAVcard Office. This debit account can be used at many locations on campus, including residential vending machines, campus bookstore, athletic events, Bookcliff Café, and Rec Sports.

The MAVcard Office is located on the first floor of the University Center on the Colorado Mesa University main campus.

Hours of Operations: 8 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday.

Each year many students lose valuable class time because of preventable illness. Before you come to school, there are a number of ways you can plan ahead to avoid or minimize illness.

Update your immunizations.

In addition to the standard pediatric immunization series and the Hepatitis B requirement explained above, the CDC Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) and the American College Health Association (ACHA) recommend:

MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella) - two doses at least one month apart if born after 1956

Varicella (chicken pox) - two doses one month apart if you have never had chicken pox or if a blood test does not show immunity

Tetanus/diphtheria/acellular pertussis (Tdap) given as a single dose to replace the next booster dose of Tetanus/diphtheria (Td) if the last dose of Td was >10 years earlier.

Meningococcal meningitis vaccine - ACHA and the ACIP recommend meningococcal vaccination for college freshmen living in dormitories, other high risk persons and those wishing to reduce their risk of meningococcal disease.

Plan for chronic conditions.

If you have a chronic medical condition such as diabetes, asthma or cancer, you may want to obtain a health summary from your recent health care provider(s) and bring it with you to campus. It will help the staff at Student Health Center, located in the Community Hospital Complex, provide the best care possible.


Bring enough of your ongoing medications for the first month of school and a copy of your prescription. Plan ahead for refills.

Bring a first-aid kit, and make sure it includes a thermometer and ibuprofen or Tylenol.

Know how your medical plan works.

Health insurance is a not a condition of enrollment for Colorado Mesa University students. However it is highly encouraged to obtain medical insurance.

All students may use the Student Health Center regardless of whether they have insurance or any other type of another health plan.

To reach the Student Health Center call 970.256.6345