Admitted International Students

  1. Log in to MAVzone, Colorado Mesa University's student portal once you receive an email that contains your username and a link to create your password. This should be sent to you soon after being admitted. Once you have logged in, you can click on "MAVzone" to view academic and student life information and check your Colorado Mesa University email.
  2. Please apply for on-campus housing as soon as possible after being admitted. On Campus housing is required for all first time college students under 21 years of age. Please note CMU does not have “non-traditional student” housing. Those 23 years of age and older should prepare to find off campus housing. Please discuss this with the International Programs Office immediately if you are 23 years of age or older. Those over 21 years of age are not required to live on campus. Please note that CMU does not assist students with finding off-campus housing. To apply, log-in to MAVzone and click on "Applications" on the left side of the page then "My Housing". There is a $150 deposit required and you will need a credit card to pay for this on MAVzone. You can check out the different residence halls and prices. On-campus housing is NOT guaranteed upon arrival if you have not previously completed the housing application.
  3. Class registration: You will need to work with our Director of Advising and Academic Services, Ms. Millie Moland, to schedule your classes.You will be connected with her through email after admission.
  • As an international student on a visa, you are required to take a minimum of 12 credit hours each semester of which 9 credits must be in a classroom or hybrid (a mix of in a classroom and online). Please note that ISEP students must be enrolled in 12 credits of in- class and/ or hybrid credits.
  • If you have university or college-level credits from a foreign institution, you must have the transcript professionally evaluated by World Education Services or another NACES-approved evaluation company before Colorado Mesa University will assess them for transfer credit. This process is optional, but please note that you will be starting your degree from the beginning if you choose not to have your foreign credits professionally evaluated. Transfer credit is not guaranteed.
  • Most courses at CMU are offered at multiple times with different days and times of the week so you have some choice about whether your classes are in the morning, afternoon, all on Monday/Wednesday/Friday, on Tuesday/Thursdays, or spread evenly during the week. Each class is 50 minutes long if on Monday/Wednesday/Friday or 1 hour and 15 minutes long if on Tuesday/Thursday.
  • Review your degree's Program Sheet for your proposed degree for a course sequence plan and then look under Freshman Year - Fall semester. This gives you a general idea of the courses required to complete your degree at CMU.
  • Any class on your program sheet that is listed as an “Essential Learning” or “ESSL” is a class you must take from a specific department but you have options of which class within that department to take. Essential Learning courses are required by every major. While these courses are listed under certain semesters in the Suggested Course Sequence of the Program Sheet, they can be taken at any point throughout your four years of study and in any order.
  • To look up courses in MAVzone, log in and click on "Applications" at the left and then scroll down or search for and click on "Register for Classes". At the next page, click on “Look up Classes.” Search by term then by Subject or search by a specific Course Number. Be sure to pick "main campus" so that you pick courses on the campus here Grand Junction.
  • If you are unsure of what a class is about, you can find descriptions of all courses in the Course Catalog. Click on the “Course Descriptions” link toward the bottom left of the webpage.
  • If you didn't take the ACT/SAT exam or you didn't meet our cut scores, you will be required to take the Accuplacer placement exam in Math, English, and Reading when you arrive on campus before we can register you for any English and math classes. 
  1. Immunizations: College students in Colorado are required to show proof of two vaccinations for measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR). You can see more info here if needed. Your options for completing the form attached to this email are: 1) email a copy of your immunization records in English to the Registrar’s Office at OR 2) have this form filled out by your physician or approved health authority and scanned and emailed to the Registrar’s Office at (or bring with you when you arrive). If you oppose the MMR vaccine or any other vaccines for personal, religious, or medical reasons you may sign the waiver at the bottom of the form. The only required vaccine for which documentation is required is the MMR (two rounds/shots needed). The other vaccines listed on the form are recommended for all college students. Please note that you must also read the 2nd page of the form and either list on the front page if you have had the meningitis vaccine or sign the form on the 2nd page if you prefer not to receive it.
  2. Health insurance: CMU has a group health insurance plan for international students as health insurance is required while studying in the United States. You will be enrolled in this plan one week before your first semester. The group plan costs approximately $87 per month and coverage will be added to your university semester bill.

Once you have received your I-20, the next thing you need to do is schedule and prepare for your interview at the nearest U.S. Embassy (unless you are from Canada). This can be done no sooner than 120 days prior to the program start date. Contact our office for resources to help you prepare for your interview.

  1. When to arrive: The International student orientation generally takes place the Friday before classes for Fall semester, and the Monday before classes for Spring semester. More details will be emailed to admitted students closer to the semester start date. We recommend that you plan to arrive 2-3 days before classes start.  You may arrive earlier, but please be in touch with the International Programs Office if you decide to do so, so that we can plan for you to move in to your residence hall early. Also be aware that dining options are limited if you are living on campus and you arrive early. If you are wondering about semester breaks, holidays, etc., please see the 3-year calendar through Spring 2019 here.  
  2. Airport information: As you make your travel plans, please be sure to fly into the Grand Junction Regional Airport (GJT). Feel free to confirm your arrival and travel plans BEFORE purchasing any flights so that  any logistical issues can be discussed ahead of time.
  3. Airport pick up/arrival information: Though it depends on your arrival day and time, we will likely be able to arrange for an airport pick-up to transport you to campus. You may also call K2 taxi service (970-242-4652) or Sunshine Taxi service (970-245-8294) by using the courtesy phone located by the baggage claim area at the airport. If you are staying in a hotel your first night, there are many hotels near the airport that offer shuttle service and you can use the courtesy phone at the airport to call your hotel. Depending on your arrival day/time, you may go directly to the Residence Life Office (building #24 on the map) or your Residence Hall if you will be living on campus and have already completed the housing application process by the time you arrive.
  4. Other arrival information: It is recommended to arriving in the U.S. with a credit card (Visa or MasterCard work almost everywhere) or enough cash to get you through a week until you have time to open a (free) bank account here and transfer/receive funds. Other items you should prepare to pay for include school supplies and books, cell phone (optional), entertainment (going out to eat, on excursions, shopping), and items for your residence hall room. Please note that linens will be provided to you upon arrival and until you are able to purchase them on your own.

In planning for the financial costs of the first semester, remember that you were asked during the admissions process to show proof of funds to cover one year of estimated tuition, fees, living and personal expenses. Please plan accordingly. The bill for tuition, fees, room & board will be due within the first two weeks of classes unless you sign up for a payment plan via MAVzone (click on the “Applications” tab then “Go to ePay”). Please note that you will not be able to sign up for a payment plan until several weeks before the semester begins.

  • Tuition and fees are billed on a per credit hour basis. One class is generally 3 credits and students are required to take at least 12 credit hours every semester. Most take between 12-18 credits. See tuition prices here.
  • One-time matriculation fee of $135
  • Room and board cost if living on campus (varies per residence hall and per room-type). Please note that the costs listed on the Residence Life website are YEARLY costs (2 semesters). Please note: first time college students under 21 years of age are required to live on campus.
    • $150 housing deposit paid with a credit card at the time you apply for housing. Please let us know if you do not have a valid credit card.
  • If you have not taken the ACT or SAT test (optional for international students), you will be required to take a few short placement exams (Accuplacer tests) at our Testing Center on campus in English, Math and Reading when you arrive. This helps us to determine which class to place you in your first semester so that you can be successful. Each exam costs $17.
  • Other expenses (not billed by the university):
    • Cell phone, computer, books for your classes, classroom supplies, etc.
    • Health insurance (mandatory for all international students – see below for more information)
    • Travel expenses & personal expenses such as clothing & entertainment