Choosing a Major

Students must contact the department associated with their program to declare or change a major/minor. When declaring a major or minor students should make certain that they are assigned a faculty advisor for their major and/or their minor. Students should also obtain the correct Program Sheet to ensure proper course selection. Students can view what major they have declared and who their advisor is by viewing their Degree Works report.

Useful Links for Undecided Students

Exploring a Major

  1. Visit our Programs of Study page to learn about the requirements for various programs.
  2. Look up Course Descriptions in the Catalog and other program information.
  3. Find out about faculty, clubs, and other programs associated with that major by visiting the department web site.
  4. Visit Explore a CMU Major to discover what careers are associated with a major.

What is a Program Sheet?

  • Petition/Program Sheets outline the academic requirements of a degree or certificate program. A program sheet functions as a contract between the student, department, and Registrar. Program sheets are available online from the Programs of Study page.
  • Degree Requirements are listed under these sections on the Program Sheet: Essential Learning/General Education, Wellness, Foundation, and Major (Core and Concentration and/or Electives and/or Licensure Requirements).
  • Completion of Degree Requirements is the responsibility of the student. A completed program sheet is required to demonstrate completion of degree requirements for graduation. Students are responsible for maintaining and completing their program sheets with appropriate signatures. Working closely with a Faculty Advisor throughout enrollment at Colorado Mesa University will help to ensure proper course selection and sequencing. Advisors are not responsible for failure to meet degree requirements.

*Graduation information can be obtained from the Office of the Registrar

Major vs. Minor


A set of required courses from one or more departments in a subject chosen as the student's principal field of study. Designed to provide students with the knowledge, skills, and experiences necessary to pursue a specific career and/or advanced study.


An optional secondary program of study, apart from the major, consisting of fewer hours (typically, 15-24 credit hours). Minors can be used to pursue additional career interests by either broadening career options or better qualifying students for a specific field. Minors can be used to fulfill elective credits for a Baccalaureate Program--check the Program Sheet to see if electives are required. NOTE: Minors can only be obtained in conjunction with a Baccalaureate degree and are not required.

**For more information on majors, minors, or Double Majoring the CMU Catalog.