DegreeWorks FAQs

DegreeWorks is a web-based tool to help students and advisors monitor progress towards degree completion. DegreeWorks looks at the degree requirements of the Colorado Mesa University Catalog and a student's coursework to produce an easy to read audit.

As of August 11, 2014 DegreeWorks is available to all currently enrolled students using a 2010 or later program sheet. Academic Advisors and students can access DegreeWorks in MAVzone.

Yes, like other processes that you use through MAVzone, DegreeWorks is accessed through a secure login. Remember that your advisor and other authorized staff are able to view the information contained in DegreeWorks.

Yes, by selecting the "Save as PDF" button, you can save and print your audit. DegreeWorks will automatically store the three most recent audits ran.

A DegreeWorks audit is an evaluation of past, current and planned coursework against Colorado Mesa University's catalog requirements for a student's declared degree/major/minor/concentration for the declared catalog year. The audit is divided into block requirements such as Degree, General Education, Foundation, Major, etc. Each block has a checklist of requirements for that area. The boxes are checked automatically when a requirement is met.

Student Data is refreshed every 15 minutes in DegreeWorks. If you do not see your most recent course registration or grade information in DegreeWorks, log out and log back in.

Yes, once AP scores and transfer work have been articulated by the Registrar's Office, they will show on the audit.

Use the Registration Checklist view to see all classes that are left to fulfill the requirements in the audit. You may then use this information to discuss your registration plan with your academic advisor.

Ask your advisor for assistance. The first step is to clarify what information you believe is incorrect. These are the most common issues and courses of action to correct the problem:

  • My major and/or catalog year are incorrect on my audit.

You need to officially declare your major and/or catalog year. Contact the academic department for the major that you would like to declare to change your major and catalog year.

  • The requirements for my major are incorrect.

Look at the catalog year that appears on the upper right hand side of the degree block. If the catalog year is incorrect, contact the academic department for your major to change your catalog year. If the catalog year is correct, please contact your academic advisor to review the error.

  • My transfer courses don't appear in the correct place.

Please contact your academic advisor to review where the transfer work should be applied.

  • Classes are not applying the correct place.

DegreeWorks uses a 'best fit' approach for meeting requirements. Some classes may apply to different sections as you take more classes. If you have further questions, please contact your academic advisor.

  • My academic advisor or department head approved a course substitution but it isn't showing on my audit.

Talk with your advisor to see if a a course substitution form has been submitted to the Registrar's Office. If the form has been submitted, please allow 1-2 weeks for the substitution to show on your audit.

  • My minor is missing from my audit.

You need to officially declare your minor. Contact the academic department for your minor to declare the minor.

  • My advisor is not listed on the audit.

Please contact the academic department for your major to request to change your academic advisor.

If none of the above describe your issue or if you need additional help identifying what's wrong, contact your academic advisor. If your academic advisor believes a technical error exists on the audit, he or she will contact the Registrar's Office.

Not necessarily. This can be a timing issue such as posting grades for the current term. Please contact your academic advisor as soon as possible to verify that you are on track to graduate.

The DegreeWorks audit is a tool to provide you with academic information related to degree progress. It displays courses required and completed in your degree program. Your transcript is your official university academic record and provides a chronological list of courses completed and other academic information.

DegreeWorks uses a 'best fit' approach to apply courses to requirements. The 'best fit' approach will not always be perfect, especially when multiple possibilities exist. Classes may apply to different sections as you take more courses. If you have a course that does not appear in the area in which you expected, please contact your academic advisor for assistance.

In most cases, yes. DegreeWorks is programmed to recognize that some courses can fulfill more than one requirement. If you have any questions, please contact your academic advisor.

Look at the degree information next to your name at the top of the screen. You'll notice that the degree box has a drop-down arrow. Use this to select your second degree. Once you select the degree, an audit with other degree will display.

Most courses can only be counted once toward degree requirements. The grade that is being included in your GPA, will be included in the audit and applied to the appropriate requirement. The grade that is not being included will show in the Insufficient (W/F/Repeated/ or Excluded Courses) section of the audit.

The '@' symbol is a wildcard. Depending on its placement, it means that any course subject and/or course number can be taken. For example, @ @ means any course subject and course number can be taken to fulfill the requirement; BIOL @ means that any Biology course number can be taken; ENGL 3@ means that any 300 level English course can be taken.

Please contact your academic advisor. If your advisor determines that there is an error with your DegreeWorks audit, please complete a DegreeWorks Issues Report and turn it in to the Registrar's Office.