Skip to main content

The Hamilton Recreation Center is happy to collaborate with CMU Educational Access Services (EAS). Their mission recognizes disability as an aspect of diversity and an integral part of society. They collaborate with students, faculty, staff, and community members to create an accessible college community. EAS provides academic accommodations and promotes universal design principles, enabling students with disabilities the opportunity to fully participate in all aspects of the educational environment as successful and independent learners. To learn more about EAS please visit their web site.

Frequently asked questions for persons with disabilities:

  1. Does the Rec Center have any adapted strength and conditioning equipment?
    The strength and conditioning area has wide doors and isles to accommodate persons in wheelchairs. The cardio room has two arm ergometer with a detachable seat for wheelchair access and the strength training area has two power racks with removable benches and wheelchair ramps for free-weight exercises. The pool also has special access for swimming and group exercise classes.

  2. If I need help learning to use the equipment, what should I do?
    Call the Manager of Wellness and Fitness at 248-1234 to make an appointment with one of our personal trainers for a free equipment orientation, or stop by the Fitness Kiosk for a quick equipment orientation.

  3. Is my guide dog welcome in the Student Rec Center?
    Yes, your guide dog is welcome! Be aware that at peak hours, the facility can be quite crowded, and you and your guide dog may not be as comfortable. Check with a Rec Center staff member at the front desk if you have any questions.

  4. I have a disability and want to enroll in an kinesiology activity class, but I require special accommodations. What should I do?
    It is important that you register with Colorado Mesa Universities Educational Access Services (EAS) office, so that the Rec Center and EAS can work together to meet your needs. For example, if the assigned classroom is inaccessible, every effort is made to relocate the class to an accessible room.

  5. What if I require an attendant or interpreter to assist me in class?
    The EAS office can often locate an attendant or interpreter for students who need one. Also if a disabled student or Rec Center member has a friend who is willing to assist, the Recreation Center will waive the class fee for that friend. If the attendant/friend wants credit for the class, she/he needs to visit the Registrar's office to register for the class.

  6. How does an attendant who is not a Colorado Mesa University student get in to the Student Rec Center?
    The Recreation Center is happy to provide a complimentary Rec Center daily pass to an attendant for the term when she/he is assisting a person with a disability. However, the attendant needs a valid Cardholder's Pass for entry into the facility. To obtain a pass the attendant must visit the Rec Center information desk with documentation from the EAS office.