Skip to main content


Before offering, recommending, arranging, signing up, dispersing or enrolling service members for private student loans, we provide service members access to an institutional financial aid adviser who will make available appropriate loan counseling, including, but not limited to:

  1. Providing a clear and complete explanation of available financial aid, including Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended.
  2. Describing the differences between private and federal student loans to include terms, conditions, repayment and forgiveness options.
  3. Disclosing the institution's student loan Cohort Default Rate (CDR), the percentage of its students who borrow and how its CDR compares to the national average. If the institution's CDR is greater than the national average CDR, it must disclose that information and provide the student with loan repayment data.
  4. Explaining that students have the ability to refuse all or borrow less than the maximum student loan amount allowed.  
*Please refer to our Financial Aid Timeline for important Financial Aid dates:

Military Tuition Assistance (TA):

Awarded to a service member under the assumption that the service member will attend school for the entire period for which the assistance is awarded.

For Army National Guard Students - Chapter 1606 

Unearned Military Tuition Assistance:

If a service member withdraws on or before the 60 percent portion of the
term, the service member will no longer be eligible for the full amount of
Military TA funds originally awarded. To comply with the policy of the
Department of Defense, the institution will return any unearned Military TA
funds on a proportional basis through at least the 60 percent portion of the
term for which they were provided. Any unearned Military TA funds will be
returned directly to the military service, not to the service member. The
calculation of the return may result in the service member owing a balance
to the University. If a service member withdraws after the 60 percent
portion of the term, all Military TA will be considered earned. 

Schedule for Returning Unearned TA

16 Week Withdraw Period

Before or During Weeks 1-2: 100% Return

During Weeks 3-4: 60% Return

During Weeks 5-8: 40% Return

During Weeks 9-10: 20% Return

During Weeks 11-16: 0% Return

8 Week Withdraw Period:

Before or During Week 1: 100%

During Week 2: 60% Return

During Week 3-4: 40% Return

During Week 5: 20% Return

During Week 6-8:  0% Return

4 Week Withdraw Period (M-F):

Before or During Days 1-3: 100% Return

Days 4-5: 60% Return

Days 6-14: 40% Return

Days 14-16: 20% Return

Days 16-20:  0% Return

In instances when a service member stops attending due to a military service obligation, the institution will work with the affected service member to identify solutions that will not result in student debt for the returned portion.


Complete FASFA paperwork

Even though you will be receiving VA education benefits, you may qualify for grants that you can use with your benefits.  You do not need to take out loans, but you can accept any grants that are offered to you.  Work study is also awarded through the FASFA paperwork which would allow you to work on campus while you are attending school.  Please visit for more information. 

Residency Classification

Certain exemptions for in-state tuition status are available for military personnel if: 1) military personnel is active duty and stationed in CO – copy of orders needed to consider student, spouse, or children in-state without further documentation; 2) Honorably Discharged Veteran – copy of DD-214 reflecting Honorable Discharge or Certificate of Eligibility for veterans affairs benefits. 

Service members who do not receive an honorable discharge are not eligible for in-state status under the state statutes or for federal veterans education benefits.  These students, may, however, meet Colorado in-state residency requirements outlined in C.R.S. 23-7-103.

Contact the Veterans Benefits and Services Coordinator for further details. 

Financial Aid for Veterans and Dependents

Know Before You Owe

Dear Veteran,
Prior to enrollment, Colorado Mesa University strives to provide prospective students who are eligible to receive Federal military and veterans educational benefits with information to help them understand the total costs of attendance at CMU, the amount of that cost that will be covered by Federal educational benefits, the type and amount of financial aid they may qualify for, their estimated student loan debt upon graduation, information about student outcomes, and other information to facilitate comparison of different educational institutions.

Cost of Attendance

Financial Aid