Will my BAH be affected if my classes move to all online due to COVID19?

The VA has allowed for us to continue to certify classes, which begin as in-seat and move to online due to COVID19, as in-seat classes through June 1, 2022.  Thus, your BAH will not be affected.  

Can I receive VA benefits if I take online classes?

Yes. Be aware, however, that the VA will not pay for developmental courses taken online and that, under the Post 9/11 GI Bill®, active duty members or veterans enrolled in only online courses will only receive half the in-class rate for Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH). Learn more about pay rates for each program.

Can I receive Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) under the Post 9/11 program if I enroll in six or fewer credit hours?

No. You must be enrolled in at least seven credit hours to receive BAH under the Post 9/11 program. Learn more about each program.

What does the VA and GI hold mean?

If you have a VA hold on your account, it usually means that we need an updated copy of your Certificate of Eligibility. Please bring us the last copy the VA sent you or print one off of e-benefits. The GI hold identifies you as a veteran/dependent so that late fees and fines are not added to your account. The hold does not affect you negatively and will be removed once your tuition is paid by you or the VA (depending on your chapter of benefits).

Does the school need a copy of my DD-214?

The VA is requesting schools to get a copy of each veteran's DD-214 so the VA can keep track of which students are attending school within 3 years of separation. Every DD-214 is scanned into a secure file that can be viewed only by the Veterans Benefits and Services Coordinator and the Associate Registrar.

Do I have to use my VA benefits by a certain date?

It depends. If you are part of the Forever GI Bill, the VA would have let you know that your benefits do not expire. If not, then each educational program has a certain time period by which the VA benefits must be used before they expire. Find the details on your particular educational program.

Do I have to decide on a degree program or major to receive VA benefits?

When you apply online for your VA benefits, you must fill in a degree program and major. You will not receive VA benefits if you are classified as non-degree seeking. Most students change their degree program or major multiple times before they have accomplished their educational goals. If you change your degree program or major, let the CMU Veteran's Benefits and Services Coordinator know of the change.

I was admitted into an associate's degree program but I want to pursue a bachelor's degree. Do I have to get an associate's degree, and do I need to change my program with the VA?

No. Once you meet the requirements to transfer to a bachelor's degree, complete the Transfer to Baccalaureate Program Form. If you changed your degree program or major from what you put on your VA Educational benefits application form, notify the CMU Veteran's Benefits and Services Coordinator of the change.

Do I have to pay taxes on my GI Bill?

NO – All GI Bill benefits are TAX FREE.

How can I check the status of my VA benefits?

There are two ways to check the status of your veteran benefits:

  • Call 1.888.442.4551, an automated phone system which allows you to check your status.
  • Create a account.

You may also ask questions via the VA Education Benefits website.

How do I update my direct deposit information with the VA?

You can fill out a form at or call 1-877-838-2778.  

*GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).  More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at