Housing FAQs

Prospective students can apply for housing online through MAVzone. The housing application should be filled out completely and submitted online with the $50 non-refundable application fee and $150 Pre-Payment ($200). Applications without a deposit or contract on file will NOT be processed. Students under the age of 18 are required to have a parent or guardian sign to agree to the Contract terms.

Each room on campus has extra-long twin size mattresses. All halls with the exception of some rooms in Rait and Tolman Halls have moveable furniture including adjustable beds, desks, desk chairs and wardrobe or closet space. Rait and Tolman Halls have furniture in some of the rooms that is mounted to the walls and cannot be moved.
We coordinate our placements on a first come, first serve basis. The earlier you turn in your completed application with the $50 non-refundable application fee and $150 Pre-Payment, (and Contract, if required), the more likely you are to receive your desired hall/room.
Hall or room changes can take place if a problem arises that cannot be solved in any other manner. We encourage roommates to complete a Roommate Agreement and discuss any concerning issues with each other before asking for a room change. All hall/room changes need to be granted through the Area Coordinator or Hall Coordinator.

Residence Life sends this information via email to the MAVzone (Outlook) portal. You can also check your assignment on the MyHousing page by logging in using your MAVzone username and password. The information includes your hall/room assignment as well as your roommate's name and CMU email. We encourage you to contact your roommate before the semester begins to discuss furnishings as well as living habits.

All residence halls and University offices remain open during breaks. Fall to spring room assignments do not change. Students may enter or leave their hall any time at their discretion, but we will request students to register if they plan to stay on campus during any break, for safety, security and staffing purposes. Interior door access will expire at the end of each semester, so students returning from or staying through the break between semesters must have their MAVcards re-encoded for room, suite and apartment access.

No. However, as soon as you have made the decision to attend CMU, we suggest that you submit your Residence Life housing application. We assign rooms based on the the date we receive the application and Pre-Payment; therefore, the earlier you submit your application, the more likely you will get your preferred room assignment.

No. You must be accepted in order to receive your MAVzone user name and password. MyHousing is only accessed through the MAVzone portal.

Your ID number is the "700 number" assigned to you when you’re admitted to CMU.

Please visit Parking Services to purchase a residence hall parking pass and for information about guest passes.

View Visitation Policy

As a host or hostess to guest(s), you are ultimately responsible for your guest(s) actions and it is also your responsibility to inform your guest(s) of any and all institution policies and procedures. Overnight guests must be 18 years or older. Any resident wanting to host a guest under the age of 18 must obtain permission from the Hall Coordinator. The minor MUST have written parental consent or guardian approval to stay on campus and be willing to have the Hall Coordinator call for verification.
Visitors under the age of 18 must leave campus by 10:00 p.m. unless they have obtained special permission from the Hall Coordinator and the parent/guardian have given written permission. This will only occur for special occasions and on a limited basis.

All individuals who are not residents of the halls you are visiting are considered guest(s). Therefore, all guest(s) are to be escorted within the residence hall. To be escorted means that your guest(s) is within your line of sight. This includes, but is not limited to: Trips to the restroom in all of the residence halls presuming it is not located within your living unit (You may wait outside while your guest(s) uses the restroom); Entering and exiting the building; Trips to the vending machine; Walking from one room to another; Any other time your guest(s) is present within your residence hall/apartment complex

Guest(s) may stay overnight in a resident’s room so long as it does not violate the Visitation Policy. Permission from all residents of the room, suite or apartment is required. Residence Life allows guest(s) to stay in your room/apartment for a period not to exceed two consecutive nights per month and that no more than two guest(s) are allowed to stay overnight in your room/apartment at a time. It is your responsibility to inform your guest(s) that they are not allowed to sleep in the common areas or lounges.

For health and safety reasons, the following items are not permitted in the residence halls: animals/pets (except for freshwater aquatic fish and service animals with prior approved documentation); any open heating element cooking appliance such as toaster ovens, George Foreman grills and hot plates; lighted candles or incense; firearms, pistols, ammunition, and explosives; drugs; alcohol or alcohol containers; waterbeds and hot tubs; connections to outside antennas; and kegs.

The Area Coordinator or Hall Coordinator will read the documentation (Incident Report) and determine if the violation should be handled within the hall or should be sent to the Conduct Hearing Officer/Conduct Board. Either way, you will receive an emailed Notice to Schedule a Hearing. You will be required to respond to the email and attend the hearing.

Residence Life reserves the right to consolidate single occupants residing in multiple capacity rooms. Furthermore, when it is necessary to assign a single occupant to a double room or to allow a single occupant to remain in a double room, such occupant may be charged at the single room rate. (The single occupancy rate would also be assessed to occupants of other types of multiple capacity units, such as suites with a bathroom, two-person apartments, and three person apartments that are occupied by fewer residents than design capacity.)


The primary reason students attend CMU is to pursue an education. As such, we strive to make our residence hall environments conducive to study and other academic endeavors. In all areas, the right to quiet supersedes the right to make noise. We do realize, however, that noise is a healthy sign of social interaction in a community living environment. Because of this, our staff sometimes find themselves in a precarious position – how much noise is too much? Generally, more noise is tolerated during the day, less noise is expected during the evening and nighttime hours. In addition, quiet hours may be designated by hall councils to assist in providing more specific parameters. Finally, we encourage our residents to take responsibility for their own living area and address issues as they arise. This is one of the most effective means of maintaining community standards.

Yes, your son/daughter should purchase insurance coverage. The university does not carry insurance to protect possessions brought in by students and does not assume obligation or liability for lost, stolen or damaged items of personal property under any circumstances. It is the responsibility of the student to arrange insurance for such personal possessions. (Often a parent's policy can be extended to cover the student's belongings while they're away at university). You can also purchase renter's insurance through National Student Services, Inc.


Potentially. The university directly applies financial aid awards to the student account. Tuition is the first fee to be covered. If there is aid "left over" after tuition has been paid, it will then be credited to other charges, such as housing and dining. The promise of financial aid cannot be substituted for the application fee and prepayment amounts. These are due separately, up front, at the time of application. Housing and meal plan charges, along with all other student account charges, are due each semester.


Yes. Any student may bring a vehicle to campus. Vehicles parked in a residential parking area are required to display a current CMU parking permit. Students who live in campus housing may park in the lots immediately adjacent to their living area, providing there is space.

Students who are currently living on campus and plan to no longer attend need to fill out a Housing Policy Exemption Request. Additional information about the exemption policy and procedures can be found here.