Skip to main content

The trademark licensing program promotes and protects the Colorado Mesa University brand and ensures the public can properly identify and associate CMU’s name and logos with officially licensed products and/or communications bearing the university’s marks.

All campus departments, clubs and organizations producing products using the name or marks of Colorado Mesa University must use a vendor that is a licensee of Colorado Mesa University.

Protected university content, representing intellectual property and registered federal trademarks owned by Colorado Mesa University, includes names, logos, marks, nicknames, letter(s), word(s), seal, stories, websites, photography, videos, images and symbols. Any combination of these that can be associated with the University qualifies as a trademark and is vigorously protected by CMU.

Permission for Use of Content

Any use of the university’s content for commercial purposes or by any person or organization is prohibited without the express permission of the university. This applies to use in all forms of communications.

All individuals, third parties, entities and organizations wishing to use or reproduce university content must contact Marketing and Communications. Once approval has been given, users are forbidden to alter, distort or deface any element of the university content.

Licensing Agent

CMU has contracted with Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC) as its primary licensing agent. CLC assists CMU with:

  • Facilitating the license application process
  • Executing the licensing agreements
  • Marketing the Colorado Mesa University brand to potential manufacturers
  • Monitoring the marketplace for unlicensed use of trademarks
  • Collecting royalty payments
  • Conducting compliance review audits of licensed manufacturers

All licensees are required to remit royalty reports and payments on a quarterly basis to CLC, who collects these payments on behalf of CMU. Licensees should consult with CLC at 770.956.0520 prior to the start of design projects to ensure the concept of each project adheres to the Colorado Mesa University’s standards.

For more information on becoming a Colorado Mesa University Licensee or on the services CLC provides, including a copy of the application and license agreement, visit CLC.

How Can I Obtain a License?

Organizations outside the university who wish to obtain a license to produce merchandise must submit a license application. This application informs the university of how its marks will be used, what type of product the applicant makes, how the university is going to be represented, etc. Applications can be obtained by contacting:

Collegiate Licensing Company, LLC
1075 Peachtree Street, Suite 3300
Atlanta, GA 30309

What Products Can Be Licensed?

Students, alumni and fans generate many great ideas for new University products. Products will be considered and must be approved by the University's Brand Manager. No products will be licensed without the approval of the Brand Manager. This ensures all products associated with the University are of high quality and good taste and, ensures the non-approval of potentially hazardous items.

Who Needs A License?

Anyone wishing to use the marks, logos and symbols of the university must obtain a license.

What If I Do Not Get A License?

All products must be approved by the University's Marketing and Communications Office. Failure to obtain a license or approval from the University's Trademark Licensing Program would be grounds for the seizure of all non-approved merchandise bearing the University's marks. It also could result in jail time and fines if convicted.

Can Alumni, Students, or Booster Groups Sell Products Using The University's Marks As A Fundraiser?

Before contacting manufacturers regarding new products, designs, or an idea for a fundraiser, be sure to check with the Marketing and Communications Office. They will be able to identify local manufacturers to produce the items, saving everyone time and effort.

What About Using the University's Name or Logo on a Website?

Every use of CMU’s trademarks requires permission from the Marketing and Communications Office. The World Wide Web has made it easy for alumni, fans and supporters to build web pages with the university's name and logos, and the university appreciates this support. However, federal trademark laws require that the university control its name and marks; therefore, CMU must be very selective in granting permission in these and all instances. For more information, contact the University's Marketing and Communications Office.


Jeremy Smith, Senior Graphic Artist and Brand Manager
Colorado Mesa University
[email protected]

Brittany Oxley, Partnership Manager
Collegiate Licensing Company, LLC
[email protected]