Skip to main content

Are any portions of the partnership degrees physically in Boulder, Colorado?

Students do not have to go to Boulder to complete the Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering, Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering or Bachelor of Science in Electrical and Computer Engineering degrees. All of the classes for all four years of the program are taught at Colorado Mesa University in Grand Junction.

What tuition will I pay?

For the first two years of the program while you are taking classes from CMU faculty, you will pay CMU tuition, course fees and general fees. For the last two years of the program while you are taking classes from CU faculty, you will pay CU tuition and CMU general fees based on the total number of credits.

How do I apply for admission?

The admission process for the CMU/CU Boulder Civil, Mechanical, and Electrical & Computer Engineering Partnership Programs requires that a student meet the admission requirements for the CU Boulder College of Engineering & Applied Sciences. A student may apply for admission to the CMU/CU Boulder Civil, Mechanical Engineering or Electrical & Computer Partnership Programs when they have established a successful collegiate record at CMU. View admission criteria.

Can I keep my CMU specific Scholarships (e.g. President's, Trustees, etc.) when I become a CU Boulder student in my 3rd year in the Partnership Program?

Scholarships from the first two years of the program do not transfer when you become a CU student. You will have to apply for scholarships from the University of Colorado Boulder. Private scholarships may also be available through CU Boulder. National or local, private scholarships will transfer to CU Boulder, but students should notify the donor to send that funding to CU Boulder’s Office of Financial Aid.

Will my CU Boulder classes be taught online or by video from CU Boulder faculty?

The CU Boulder engineering classes for the third and fourth year of the program are taught largely by CU faculty in residence at CMU in Grand Junction. The CU Boulder faculty at CMU have been hired specifically for the Partnership Program and are dedicated to teaching at CMU. Some electives may be available by video in the future from Boulder to broaden the variety of elective options available to students in the Partnership Program, but the required classes and most electives are taught in-person in Grand Junction.

Does CMU offer other engineering majors besides Electrical & Computing, Civil and Mechanical Engineering?

CMU offers a Mechanical Engineering Technology (MET) Degree. Additionally, CMU has a Guaranteed Transfer Agreement with CU Boulder for all of their baccalaureate programs including:

  • Applied Math
  • Architectural Engineering
  • Aerospace Engineering Sciences
  • Chemical and Biological Engineering
  • Chemical Engineering
  • Computer Science
  • Electrical Engineering
  • Engineering Physics
  • Environmental Engineering

You can take the first two years of coursework at CMU and if you achieve the required GPA, you may be admitted to CU Boulder and transfer to Boulder to complete the degree. There is no advantage of being accepted into the Partnership Program to transfer to the Boulder campus.

What is the Mechanical Engineering Technology (MET) Degree?

Colorado Mesa University offers a BS in Mechanical Engineering Technology (MET). The MET degree is a more applied and technology-oriented degree than the CMU/CU Boulder Mechanical Engineering Degree. Nearly half of the coursework in MET has a laboratory or project component. Upper-division classes taken from CU Boulder in the ME program can transfer to the MET Degree, but CMU upper-division MET classes do not transfer to the CU Boulder ME Degree. Read additional information about the CMU MET Program.

Are the programs accredited by ABET? What does this mean?

Engineering programs that meet a high standard of quality hold Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) accreditation. As an accrediting organization, ABET defines quality standards for engineering programs and accredits only those that meet these standards.  Programs that are accredited by ABET have been thoroughly evaluated and found to meet agreed-upon quality standards for the engineering profession. The organization only offers specialized accreditation for engineering, computing, technology and applied science programs; they do not accredit entire schools.

The CMU/CU Boulder Mechanical Engineering Partnership Program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET,, and has held continuous accreditation since 2011.

The CMU/CU Boulder Civil Engineering Partnership Program is undergoing review by the Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC) of ABET,, after the first graduating class of 2020.

The CMU/CU Boulder Electrical & Computer Engineering Partnership Program Partnership Program is seeking approval by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET once the program has graduates.

The Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering Technology program is administered through CMU and is accredited by the Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET,, and has held continuous accreditation since 2014.

The BSCE, BSME, and BSECE programs at the home campus in Boulder were first accredited in 1936. Although the Engineering partnership programs are an extension of the home campus, the unique aspects of the programs require autonomous accreditation.