Student Accommodations

EAS facilitates a number of accommodations for students with documented disabilities. Explore the table below to learn more about these accommodations.

How to Obtain Accommodations
  1. Once student is enrolled in CMU schedule an intake appointment with EAS by requesting a New Student Intake
  2. Submit supporting documentation (IEP, 504, Neuropsychological report, Doctor's note, VA paperwork, etc.) to the EAS Coordinator Sam Dieguez- or   *Please visit EAS Documentation guidelines for additional information.                                                                                                        
  3. The coordinator will review the documentation and contact the student via their official school email to set up an hour intake appointment.
  4. Intake Appointment-interactive discussion of student's disability and review of documentation will determine reasonable accommodations. Faculty Accommodations Memos (FAM's) will be sent to students' instructors informing them of approved accommodations. 
  5. Each semester, the student is required to contact EAS to request their accommodations to be sent to their new instructors. Request to Send Accommodations
  6. Student will need to contact EAS with any concerns, questions or changes needed. 

Fill out online form

This form gives EAS permission to send your accommodations to your instructors for the selected semester. EAS will send the current accommodations on file. Please contact EAS to discuss any concerns. 

Exam Request form: Main Campus

Exam Request form: Montrose Campus

Testing accommodations are provided to students who need more time on exams, assistance in reading or writing, a reduced-distraction environment, or adaptive software and/or hardware. Tests are usually administered in the EAS office, or accommodations may be provided by faculty. Contact the EAS Coordinator to set up testing accommodations.

Exams during the semester should be scheduled three days in advance. Complete an exam request form, have your instructor sign it, and return to H108 three days before the exam. Midterm exams should be scheduled at least one week in advance. Final exams should be scheduled at least two weeks before finals week begins.

Bishop Campus (WCCC) exams are administered in Bishop B 177. Return exam request forms to the front desk in Building B. For regular exams, exam request forms must be turned in at least three school days in advance. For finals, turn in forms at least two weeks before finals week begins.

Montrose Campus Exams: Student will need to contact EAS to schedule (970)248-1856

Some students with disabilities find it difficult to take notes in class. EAS uses a peer note-taking system. Students who are granted this accommodation may use a tablet of duplicate paper from EAS. The student may ask another student in class to share their notes using the tablet. If the student does not know whom to ask, he or she may ask the professor to assist in locating a volunteer note-taker.

If the student cannot find a volunteer note-taker in class, a student assistant may be sent into the classroom to take notes for the student.

Students using this accommodation are usually allowed to use a recorder to record lectures and discussions. Additionally, many faculty post PowerPoint presentations and other materials online which are helpful for the student in taking their own notes.

EAS provides textbooks in alternate formats to students who have documented disabilities affecting their ability to read print or physically handle textbooks. Students must purchase print copies of textbooks before receiving alternate formats. EAS can provide textbooks in electronic formats for most books. The student will need to use text-to-speech, screen-magnification, or screen-reading software to read the electronic texts.

Students should request texts in alternate formats at least eight weeks before the start of the semester to ensure obtaining texts in time. Later requests may not be ready at the beginning of the semester.

Braille books may be provided for math, foreign languages, and other technical areas for which audio formats are not appropriate or adequate. Braille texts must be requested six months in advance of the semester for which they are needed. Contact the Coordinator to discuss.

As soon as you have registered, check your assigned classrooms to determine if the room and furniture will accommodate your disability. For instance, if you use a wheelchair, check the height of the tables or desks. You are encouraged to use priority registration through EAS to ensure access to your classroom.

If a desk or chair needs to be added to the classroom, contact the EAS Assistant Coordinator or Coordinator. Your furniture request will be forwarded to Facility Services to provide appropriate accommodations.

EAS staff are available by appointment to assist with learning to use assistive technology. Call the Assistant Coordinator at 970.248.1801 to schedule an appointment.

Premiere Assistive Software Suite is a set of tools for reading text aloud for people with print disabilities. Research has shown that text-to-speech software is also helpful for students with ADD/HD or who are audio learners. Most students comprehend better when hearing and seeing text. EAS has paid a license fee to enable any Colorado Mesa University or Western Colorado Community College student to download and install these programs on their own computer at no cost. Contact the EAS Coordinator or Assistant Coordinator for more information.

Additional adaptive equipment available to students with disabilities includes Dragon Naturally Speaking software, CCTVs, assistive listening devices, JAWS screen-reading software, ZoomText screen magnification software, TypeWell classroom transcription, and a Kurzweil 1000/3000 station at the library.

Some technology is available at the library. Adaptive equipment and software can be installed across campus as needed.

Free and Low Cost Applications and Programs

Assistants are assigned to students with disabilities that prevent them from accomplishing some tasks in the classroom, library, or lab classes. Examples are a scribe to write in-class assignments dictated by the student; a library assistant to assist a student who is blind in locating and copying research materials; and an assistant to handle materials in a lab. The assistant completes tasks only at the student's direction.

Sign language interpreters are available for students who are deaf.

Two weeks may be required to locate an assistant. Students are encouraged to contact the EAS Coordinator as soon as possible for an assistant, preferably as soon as registering for a class.

Online students with documented disabilities may be eligible for extra time on tests and books in alternate formats. If you are taking an online class and you need accommodations, contact the Coordinator to discuss. Documentation requirements are the same as for other students.


Students with disabilities may be granted permission to register early, before their regularly assigned registration time, if they meet any one of the following criteria:

The student has a disability that requires an accommodation that takes an extensive amount of time to prepare - such as audio books or the hiring of sign language interpreters or computer transcribers.

  1. The student has a disability that requires scheduling classes to allow expanded class time for testing.
  2. The student has a disability that requires their course schedule to be carefully planned with regard to the time of day that they take courses. For example, a student who needs an hour to rest between classes, or only early morning classes, due to a medical condition or disability.
  3. The student has a disability that requires early registration for a reason not listed, as deemed appropriate by the Coordinator of Educational Access Services.

All priority registration requests are reviewed and approved by the EAS Coordinator. Eligibility for priority registration will be periodically re-evaluated, and prior approval does not constitute automatic entitlement for on-going eligibility.

Students must request that their name be placed on the Priority Registration list every semester.

CMU recognizes that some students, as a result of a disability, may be eligible for a substitution for the University mathematics or foreign language requirement.

Documentation of disability

Documentation of a student's disability must show a significant impact on the student's ability to master mathematics or foreign languages. Eligibility for EAS services does not guarantee eligibility for a course substitution.

Mathematics Course Substitution

Some students, as a result of a disability that significantly impairs academic performance in the quantitative area, may be eligible for a substitution for the University math requirement. The decision to grant a substitution is based on an individual's learning history, history of multiple failed course attempts through course completion, history of extensive mathematics tutoring, thorough psycho/educational documentation with testing results, clearly indicating a specific math disability that impairs mathematical processing, and future educational goals. All documentation and testing results must come from a qualified educational diagnostician and/or licensed psychologist/psychiatrist.  Test results must have been completed within three (3) years of initial request.  If the math substitution is granted, alternate courses in areas designated by the academic department head and faculty advisor are substituted for the required math courses.

A math substitution is NOT an option if math is deemed essential to a program or course of study. Also, a math substitution is not an option if it is a prerequisite for a required class.  

Foreign Language Course Substitution

Students with a learning disability or other disability that impairs the ability to acquire a foreign language may apply for a substitution for the language requirement. The decision to grant a substitution is based on an individual's learning history, documentation of a disability that impairs foreign language acquisition, and future educational goals. Eligibility is determined by the appropriate academic department head and faculty advisor. If the foreign language substitution is granted, two alternate courses are substituted for the required foreign language courses.

Essential elements

The math, essential  or foreign language substitution should not substantially alter an essential element of the student's program of study, including requirements for majors/minors. The granting of course substitutions is an academic decision.

Application Procedure

Students wishing to apply for a course substitution for Mathematics on the basis of a disability should schedule an appointment with the the Assistant Vice President of Academic Affairs for Student and Faculty Success. Contact information 970.248.1881: Lowell Heiny Hall Room 204. 

Students wishing to apply for a course subsitution for a Foreign Language should contact their academic advisor for assistance.


What you need... When to request...
Alternate format books ASAP after registration
Faculty accommodation memos Every semester
Exams during the semester At least three (3) school days before the exam
Midterm exams At least one week before the exam
Final exams At least two weeks before finals week begins
Priority registration Each semester

If time lines are not met, accommodations may not be available.