Manual, Forms and Instructions
If you do not find the information you need, or for specific questions related to curriculum changes, please contact the appropriate curriculum committee chair.
Committee Contact Info and Submission Deadlines
Graduate Curriculum Committee
Don Carpenter, 2016-17 Chair
firstname.lastname@example.org | 970.248.1580
Undergraduate Curriculum Committee
Scott Kessler, 2016-17 Chair
email@example.com | 970.248.1673
Western Colorado Community College Curriculum Committee
Glenn Hoff, 2016-17 Chair
firstname.lastname@example.org | 970.255.2646
Policies and Procedures Manual
Curriculum Policies and Procedures Manual (May 5, 2016)
2016-17 Forms for Requesting Curricular Changes
Important Instructions for Using the Curriculum Proposal Worksheets
The forms are designed within the Microsoft Word software program. Given the limitations of any software program that must be installed on an individual computer, it is important to follow these guidelines to ensure that the forms work correctly:
How to Use the Forms
- DOWNLOAD a new form from the website for every individual proposal to modify/add a single program or course.
- SAVE the form to a network drive with a descriptive name (e.g. "CourseAddition_ABCD100")
- WORK from a CMU/WCCC provided computer
- OPEN the form ONLY USING MICROSOFT WORD
- Choose ENABLE EDITING
- Choose ENABLE CONTENT
- Choose VIEW and then EDIT DOCUMENT
- Use the TAB key to progress from field to field within the form
- Using the TAB key triggers the programming within the form to populate the correct drop-down menus
- Other ways of navigating the forms, such as using the mouse to click into a different section of the form, may cause issues
- Do not use a version of the form that you saved on your computer weeks or months ago. Occasionally, the forms may be updated to correct errors mid-year. If you download the form each time you are working on a proposal, you will be sure to have the correct version of the form.
- Do not use "Save As" to create different versions of the form. For example, you download a course modification form for the course "ABCD 100" and complete it. Do not use this completed form to create the next modification for "ABCD 200." Due to the limitations of the software, this could lead to errors with form functionality as well as to typos, as some of the data from the previous curriculum proposal could remain in the fields. Instead, download and save the form again to work on the proposal for "ABCD 200".
When using these forms, please keep in mind that 2015-16 is the first year that increased functionality of drop-down menus showing degrees and programs are included in the forms. While this is time-saving, there may be further improvements we can make for next year. If you are following the guidelines above, and you still encounter an issue with the forms, please do the following:
- Note the computer (PC/Mac) and version of Microsoft Word being used.
- Note whether the issue occurred only after the form was saved and re-opened by a different user. What computer/version was used in each instance? What user? Can the original user close and reopen the form without encountering the same issue?
- Note as much detail as possible about the error so that the form developers can attempt to recreate the issue.
- If a drop-down menu does not contain the expected option (missing the correct degree type or program), please note the omission, and complete the rest of the form as completely as possible. Once the form is submitted (be sure to include the notes on any issues) the missing information can be added to the database so that the undergraduate curriculum committee* sees the complete information. We will correct these types of issues for next year's forms.
- Submit feedback via any of the curriculum committee chairs.
*Due to the volume of proposals, undergraduate curriculum proposals are reviewed as a database summary by the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee. The other curriculum committees review the department worksheets rather than a database summary. Department worksheets from all committees are included in the database in order to generate a single annual report of all curricular changes.
Forms to Download
- Add a new course (or reinstate a previously deleted course)
- Modify an existing course
- Delete an existing course
If you have questions regarding the forms, please call Jessie in the Office of Academic Affairs at 970.248.1463.
Financial Aid Review
If you are proposing a new program, please forward proposal materials and the completed checklist (linked below) to Curt Martin, Director of Financial Aid, at email@example.com at least one week prior to submitting the proposal to the committee.
Financial Aid Checklist (new programs only)
Course Catalog Description Review
If you are proposing a new course, or wish to modify a current course description, please send the course title and description to Susan Longest at firstname.lastname@example.org at least one week prior to submitting the proposal to the committee.
Program Student Learning Outcomes Review
If you are proposing a new program, or are significantly modifying an existing program, please send the program student learning outcomes to Bette Schans, Director of Assessment of Student Learning, at email@example.com.
Library Assessments and Representatives
Some curricular proposals require materials to be sent to the curriculum committee's library representative prior to the proposal being submitted to the committee chair. The deadlines for submitting materials for library assessments are included in each committee's calendar of proposal dates and deadlines (available on committee's web pages), and in general, are one week earlier than the proposal deadline.
For course additions, please submit the following to the Library Representative:
- the course description
- topical course outline
For program additions, please submit the following:
- program sheet
Please contact the appropriate committee's library representative (see below) for questions.
Library Representative for Graduate Curriculum Committee
Library Representative for Undergraduate Curriculum Committee
Library Representative for WCCC Curriculum Committee