Sigma Tau Delta
Sigma Tau Delta is the International English Honor Society. A member of the Association of College Honor Societies, it was founded in 1924 at Dakota Wesleyan University.
The Society strives to
- Confer distinction for high achievement in English language and literature in undergraduate, graduate, and professional studies;
- Provide, through its local chapters, cultural stimulation on college campuses and promote interest in literature and the English language in surrounding communities;
- Foster all aspects of the discipline of English, including literature, language, and writing;
- Promote exemplary character and good fellowship among its members;
- Exhibit high standards of academic excellence; and
- Serve society by fostering literacy.
With over 750 active chapters located in Europe, the Caribbean, and the United States, there are more than 1,000 faculty sponsors, and approximately 8,500 members inducted annually.
Sigma Tau Delta's central purpose is to confer distinction upon students of the English language and literature in undergraduate, graduate, and professional studies. Sigma Tau Delta also recognizes the accomplishments of professional writers who have contributed to the fields of language and literature.
Colorado Mesa University's chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, Tau Phi, currently has over two dozen members. The chapter sponsors many on and off campus events including fundraisers, book groups, social activities, and informational panels. For more information or to join contact Dr. TJ Gerlach at email@example.com.