Skip to main content

Class Placement Assessment

Depending on your academic major and your SAT/ACT results (if applicable), you may need to take an assessment to be placed in the appropriate math and/or chemistry course(s). We recommend completing your assessment shortly after you submit the New Student Enrollment Form for your academic advising team to make the best informed course selections when they create your first semester schedule.

Do I need to complete testing?

Pre-Arrival Plan

As you plan to attend CMU or CMU Tech, the Admissions Office is here to help you every step of the way. Check out your pre-arrival plan to help prepare to be a new student.

Math Placement

Placement into college level Math courses is determined by standardized test scores or the ALEKS Math Assessment. Acceptable test scores cannot be more than three years old. The ALEKS Math Assessment score is used by your advisor to guide you in your math course selection. Your IRIS advisor can talk with you about the ALEKS Math Assessment and your placement options.

Do I need to take the ALEKS Math Assessment?

If any of the following apply to you, you will need to take the ALEKS Math Assessment.

  • Your standardized test scores fall below the following:

    19 500
  • Your test scores are 3 years old

    You must take the ALEKS Math Assessment if your standardized test scores are 3 years or older

  • You did not complete standardized tests in high school

    If you have not taken the standardized tests listed above, you must take the ALEKS Math Assessment 

    Complete the ALEKS Math Assessment

Program Specific Testing

Chemistry Placement

You must take the Chemistry Placement Exam for the following majors or if you would like to place directly into CHEM 131/131L or CHEM 151/151L:

  • Biology (not Biology Teacher)
  • Chemistry
  • Environmental Geology
  • Environmental Science
  • Exercise Science
  • Geology
  • Engineering
  • Secondary Education-Geology

*Students can place directly into CHEM 131/131L or CHEM 151/151L courses with an ACT Math score of 24 or higher or an SAT Math score of 610 or higher.