Severe Weather Plan
May 2017 Commencement Ceremony
In the event of severe weather, graduation may be moved to Brownson Arena in the Maverick Center and will follow the modified plan listed below.
How do I find out if Graduation has been moved indoors?
If the weather is questionable, notice of the indoor ceremony will be available after 6:30 a.m. on commencement day. To determine if the indoor ceremony has been implemented, call 970.248.1511. If you get a busy signal, please keep trying until you get the recording or check Colorado Mesa University's website.
Will Graduation still be at the same time?
Due to the smaller facility in Brownson Arena, we will have three ceremonies instead of one. Your ceremony will be at the time listed below based on your degree type. You must arrive for your ceremony at least forty five minutes prior to the starting time listed. All graduates should enter through the south entrance and meet in the Hamilton Recreation Gymnasium. You will need to pick up your name card when you arrive. Please inform your family and guests that they will not be able to access Brownson Arena until 30 minutes prior to each ceremony.
9:30 am for the following Degree Types:
- BA - Bachelor of Arts
- BFA - Bachelor of Fine Arts
- BAS in Public Administration - Bachelor of Applied Science in Public Administration
- BAS - Criminal Justice
- BSW - Social Work
11:30 am for the following Degree Types:
- DNP - Doctorate of Nursing Practice
- MSN - Master of Science in Nursing
- MBA - Master of Business Administration
- MA - Master of Arts in Education
- Graduate Certificate
- BBA - Bachelor of Business Administration
- BS - Bachelor of Science
- BSN - Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- BAS - Bachelor of Applied Science in Management/Computer Information Systems
- BAS - Radiological Technology
1:30 pm the following Degree Types:
- AA - Associate of Arts
- AS - Associate of Science
- AAS - Associate of Applied Science
- CERT - Certificate
The smaller facility in Brownson Arena limits each graduate to four guests. Each guest must present a ticket to be admitted into the graduation ceremony. Four tickets will be mailed to you. Keep in mind that there is a four person limit per graduate ONLY if the Indoor ceremony is in effect.
Drivers are encouraged to drop off passengers at the Maverick Center and then find a place to park. On commencement day, all Colorado Mesa University parking lots are available to graduates and guests free of charge without a parking pass. Be aware it will be unlikely to park in front of the Maverick Center due to the limited amount of spaces, handicap parking, and traffic flow in that area. In addition to the CMU lots, parking will also be available at Lincoln Park.
Handicap parking and drop-off will be available in front of the Maverick Center. Drivers may return to the drop off area for pick up after the ceremony. Special seating will be available for those with disabilities on a first-come, first-served basis. Due to the limited space, please limit the number of guests that will accompany the family member needing assistance. Family members may also sit in the general seating area directly behind the graduates.
A professional photographer will be taking photos of each graduate as he or she receives a diploma cover and one as the graduate exits the stage. The professional photographer will still take the two pictures (one on stage, one just after) for you to view and order as desired. Due to space constraints, family/friends are encouraged to take photos from their seat.
Ceremony Outline for Graduates
- Pick up your name card - Arrive 45 minutes to one hour before the ceremony. Pick up your name card at the Graduation check-in table at the Recreation Gym.
- Line up / seating order - No change from outdoor ceremony
- Ceremony Starts / Processional - No change from outdoor ceremony
- Ceremony Proceedings - The program will be modified to best fit the ceremony into an hour. There may be less speakers than the outdoor program.
- Name Announcement and Walk Across Stage - Same as outdoor ceremony only there will be no photography area for family/friends due to space constraints. The professional photographer will still take the two pictures (one on stage, one just after) for you to view and order as desired. Family/friends are encouraged to take photos from their seat.
- Turn the Tassel - Follow the instructions from the presiding speaker
- Recessional / End of Ceremony - Same as outdoor ceremony.
Check out the rehearsal notes for the outdoor ceremony for details regarding a few of the steps above.