The official hub for news and stories from Colorado Mesa University
Mavericks Celebrate Non-Traditional Student Week November 7-11

The Association for Non-Traditional Students in Higher Education (ANTSHE) has established the first full week in November each year as Non-Traditional Student Week. This week, and all of the time, CMU is proud to honor the adult learners that make up 25.6% of the current student body and to welcome all adults to continue or begin their higher education journey here. 

The CMU Admissions Office, Associated Student Government (ASG) and Returning Adult Learners Leaning Into Education (R.A.L.L.I.E.) have events planned to celebrate.  

CMU T-shirt Giveaway 
Tuesday, November 8 from 3-5pm 
Houston Hall 2nd Floor Lounge 

Non-Trad Student and Faculty Panel 
Come with questions for our panelists. 
Thursday, November 10 at 3pm  
CMU University Center at The Point 
Snacks and drinks available for purchase. 

Family Movie Night 
Friday, November 11 at 6pm 
Dominguez Hall 104 
Free drinks, snacks and popcorn. 

“Education has the power to change an individual’s life and ultimately their family’s legacy. The admissions counselors who serve non-traditional students at CMU were non-traditional students themselves, so they fully understand how tricky it can be to juggle the many priorities and responsibilities that our non-traditional students have,” said Associate Director of Transfer & Adult Student Admissions Lara Swanson. “In nearly every interaction that I have with non-traditional students, I always ask them why they are pursuing their education now. Once they have articulated their ‘why’, I encourage them to write it down and post it in various places throughout their home, vehicle and office. Then they can remind themselves, on the hard days, exactly why they have made the decision to complete their degree.” 

CMU recognizes the unique challenges that adult learners face in contrast to traditional students like figuring out how to be a college student by trial and error, managing a full-time job and/or a family while working to earn a degree or feeling alone or out of place because their life experiences are different than most of their peers. “RALLIE is an initiative to bridge the gap between the traditional and non-traditional college experience,” said CMU adult learner and RALLIE President Salina Edwards. “I am proud serve as RALLIE’s president because I get to represent and connect students over similar life experiences. I help non-traditional students find their community and feel welcome at CMU.” 

Edwards is a 3rd year Master of Business Administration student and looks forward to confidently seeking opportunities in the business sector that challenge her or starting her own business when she graduates. “My life experience before CMU prepared me to be an active, productive and successful student. If I went to college right after high school, I don't think I would have been that good of a student or would have continued to pursue a graduate degree,” Edwards said. “The advice I would give to potential adult learners is to make the college experience your own, challenge yourself to get out of your comfort zone and use your experience to enhance your education and those of others. Yes, we are older than the traditional student and/or have different life experiences, but we bring so much to the table inside and outside the classroom because of it. Embrace that!” 

For further information about the Non-Traditional Student Week events or becoming a student at CMU contact [email protected]. 

Categories:

Written by Hannah Odneal