The official hub for news and stories from Colorado Mesa University
Montrose Campus Welcomes new Director

Longtime faculty member Steve Metheny starts new role

Colorado Mesa University Montrose Campus has a new campus director Steve Metheny, but Metheny is not new to the university or to the Montrose community.

“I came to Montrose from New Mexico in 1981 with my family to start in a small town,” said Metheny. “Immediately, once I got here I decided that I wanted to go on and extend my education.”

He earned his master’s degree in engineering from what was then the Montrose Higher Education Center. Metheny then started teaching at CMU in 1991. He taught computer science, business and mathematics courses on both the Montrose and main campus.

He brings to his new role not only knowledge from inside the classroom but also professional experience — everything from leading Power Supply and Management Services at the Delta-Montrose Electric Association to being heavily involved in a variety of organizations, including the National Society of Professional Engineers, Professional Engineers of Colorado and the Association of Energy Engineers.

One of Metheny's strongest suits may be his connection to the town of Montrose and the relationships that he has built throughout the years.  

“Working with community is what helps us determine what programs we need to have to meet the needs of employers,” he said. “I really want to expand what’s already been done. The people before me have done a great job of making sure that the Montrose Campus meets the local needs but it also is parallel and consistent with the main vision and mission of CMU.”

Metheny will continue to support Montrose Campus students through the relationships with the community and aligning with the main campus services and support. He is especially looking forward to celebrating the Montrose Campus' 30th anniversary later this year. 

“We have a great relationship with the City of Montrose, and they’ve welcomed us as part of the downtown community which is wonderful. We’re so excited about the numbers of folks that are coming here and look forward to what’s ahead,” said Metheny.

Categories:

Written by Staff