What is the process for becoming a teacher as an undergraduate?

Learn more about the undergraduate applications process at our Program Application page.

What teacher licensure programs do you offer?

Visit our undergraduate programs page to learn more about the programs we offer for licensure in elementary; early childhood special education; secondary English, Math, Science, Social Studies and Spanish; and in K-12 Art, Music and PE.

If I have a degree already, what are my options for becoming a teacher?

Our intensive Initial Teacher Licensure Graduate Program is available in elementary or secondary licensure to students holding a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution. The intensive cohort begins each year in May and runs for 12 months. Some students may have leveling courses to complete prior to their admission into the Intensive ITL program. Learn more at our ITL Program page.

Do you have to take tests to become a teacher?

If you are an undergraduate student, you will need to complete basic skills testing to get into the program. Before you graduate, you will need to take the licensure exams, required for the state of Colorado. Use the links below to learn more.

I am a teacher. What programs do you have that would benefit me?

We offer masters and graduate certificate programs to enrich and endorse teachers in different specialties, including Special Education, Teacher Leader, Administration, and more. 

What undergraduate GPA is required for admission to a graduate program?

The Center for Teacher Education requires an undergraduate overall GPA of a 3.0 or higher for admission to our graduate programs. If a student has a overall undergraduate GPA below 3.0, the graduate committee can decide to calculate the applicants last 60 credit hours and use that GPA for admission.

Can I transfer graduate classes into a graduate program? 

Yes, but a student can only transfer 9 credits and the classes cannot be from a finished degree or be a core class. 

What is the cost of a graduate degree at Colorado Mesa University?

View all tuition and fee rates.

Where can I find teacher salary information for Colorado?

The CDE provides a variety of statistical information on school district, including average teacher salary information. See https://www.cde.state.co.us/cdereval/staffcurrent.

Do you offer any fully online programs? 

The coursework for the ITL Elementary program is now offered fully online! We also offer a distance elementary undergraduate program that can be completely primarily online. Both programs require students to complete field hours in-person at an area school. To learn more about our distance elementary programs, see our Elementary Education programs page.


Fill out my online form.