The Purchasing Department, in partnership with the Accounts Payable Department, oversees the Travel Management Program for campus.

Detailed information is provided below, additionally more information is located in the Travel Procedure and in the Colorado Mesa University Fiscal Rules.

If you will be traveling frequently for University business, you may be interested in a Colorado Mesa University U.S. Bank OneCard. For more information on the OneCard, please visit the OneCard page. 

In-State Trip
A University traveler in travel status within the State of Colorado and in the immediate area outside Colorado that is a necessary part of an otherwise in-state trip.

Out-of-State Trip

A University traveler in travel status outside of Colorado and within the Continental US, including the District of Columbia (CONUS), Alaska, Hawaii

International Trip

A University traveler in travel status to any destination that is not considered in-state or out-of-state.

A Travel Expense Report (TER) is to be completed by the traveler both prior to and after s/he travels on official University business. This form is a fillable excel spreadsheet that can be completed and then routed electronically for the necessary approvals needed.


Complete the blue section of the TER prior to making any travel arrangements. After this section has been filled out entirely, the traveler will then follow the instructions tab at the bottom of the form and route accordingly.  

Once the form is received, electronically, with all of the proper approvals a Travel Authorization Number (TA Number) will be issued and emailed to the traveler. The traveler should retain this number in order to complete the post-travel section of the Travel Expense Report upon their return. The traveler does not need to wait for the TA Number to be issued and sent to them to begin making travel arrangements, they will only need budget approval and approval from their approving official (department head, director, etc.).


Upon return, the traveler will be required to complete the green section of the same TER that included the pre-travel information for their trip. Once post travel information has been input, the form will again be routed electronically with all "out of pocket" receipts attached per the instructions tab at the bottom of the form. 

Per IRS regulations, Accounts Payable must receive the signed and completed Travel Expense Report with all supporting documentation within 60 days of the trip completion to avoid having reimbursement reported as income.

Currently, it takes 7 - 10 days to be reimbursed for travel once the Travel Expense Voucher is received by Accounts Payable. It will be processed for completeness, accuracy, and compliance with state policies. The reimbursement will be direct deposited to the same account as the traveler's payroll unless other arrangements are made with Accounts Payable.


A Travel Authorization form does not need to be completed for travel within a single day, unless airfare was utilized or the travel is out-of-state.

Required approvals for Travel Expense Report, and the responsibilities carried by the signatories and approvers, are as follows:

  1. Employee's signature. By sending the Travel Expense Report form electronically, the traveler's signature is inherent in the email. By doing this, the employee is certifying that the travel is necessary to the business of the University; the estimated expenditures are reasonable, proper, and in compliance with travel policies; and no personal expenditures are included. The employee is also recognizing that the actual reimbursement paid may be less than the estimate shown on the Travel Expense Report depending on the actual expenditures as verified by supporting documentation or on the amount of funding approved. 
  2. Travel Approver. A travel approver must be the traveler's supervisor or higher authority. All international travel must be approved by the immediate supervisor and the President. Travel for faculty and staff must be approved by the department head; travel for department heads must be approved by the appropriate Vice President; travel for the Vice Presidents must be approved by the President of the University.
  3. Supervisor's signature. By sending the Travel Expense Report form electronically to, the supervisor is certifying that he/she is aware of the employee's travel and that the travel is necessary to the business of the University, the estimated expenditures listed are reasonable and that arrangements have been made to cover position requirements in the employee's absence. The supervisor's signature is also inherent in their email. Excluding the traveler's email in the 
  4. ORGN (Cost Center) Manager's signature. Electronic approval of the Travel Expense Report form, the orgn/cost center manager is certifying that funds are available in the amount of the Travel Authorization. The orgn/cost center manager has the authority and option of declining all or a portion of the submitted trip.
  5. Travel Office authorization. It is the travel office's responsibility to verify that all proper supporting documents are attached to the Travel Expense Report, and that all requests are in compliance with travel policies. The travel office has the authority to decline the submitted trip based on non-compliance with established travel procedures.
  6. Blanket Authorization. Blanket authorization for specific individuals in a department, for in-state travel, can be requested in the form of a memo to the Travel Compliance Designee. This blanket authorization does not cover airfare; pre-approval is required for all airfare.
The Travel Society, Inc.

Heather Ross
3000 Center Green Drive, Suite 220
Boulder, CO 80301
Toll Free: 888.804.6318 
Direct Line: 303.381.7423 
Fax: 303.381.0609 

When renting a vehicle, the traveler must use one of the contracted rental car agencies:

The traveler must charge the vehicle to the University's US Bank Travel Visa and decline additional insurance. The Campus Travel Card provides liability insurance on rented vehicles. If you are not able to rent from one of these agencies, then you will need to purchase the additional liability insurance (Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) and the Liability Damage Waiver (LDW)) from the rental agency. Employees who accept unnecessary rental insurance will not receive reimbursement for the purchase of this insurance.

If the vehicle being rented is an eight passenger or greater vehicle (such as a truck, cargo van, and vans), the traveler must purchase the additional CDW insurance from the rental agency unless you are utilizing Enterprise (then you may waive the CDW/LDW insurance). There are also often exclusions for areas outside the contiguous United States in which you will need to purchase the additional liability coverage (LDW and CDW). For this information please refer to the linked price agreements by selecting the rental car link above.

If a traveler does not have a U.S. Bank OneCard, arrangements to rent a vehicle can be made through one of the traveler's department Administrative Assistant. If you are not sure how to go about this, please contact the Purchasing office at 970.248.1337.


Original, itemized receipts are required for reimbursement of rental vehicles. Please note that you will need to provide the final rental car receipt that indicates the final amount charged, not just the paperwork you received when originally renting the vehicle.


If you have an accident or a rental vehicle is damaged in some way, please report this immediately to the Purchasing office. You will also need to report it to U.S. Bank Visa at 1.800.847.2911; where you will be given instruction on how to proceed with the claim.



If the traveler chooses to use his/her personal vehicle while in travel status, the traveler may be reimbursed mileage at the rate set by the state or for the fuel utilized during their trip. You may not be reimbursed for both mileage and fuel.

The current reimbursement rate for a personal vehicle is as follows:

CRS 24-9-104 as amended to read:

On and after January 1, 2019, state officers and employees shall be allowed mileage fees of fifty-two cents ( $.52 ) per mile for each mile actually and necessarily traveled while on official state business and, when authorized to be utilized and necessary for official state business, fifty-five cents ( $.55 ) per mile for four wheel drive vehicles.

Reimbursement for 4WD vehicles is permitted between November 1st and April 1st, if the road conditions warrant the use of 4WD while traveling. If you are asking for 4WD mileage reimbursement outside of these dates, you must provide a justification with your request.


Original, itemized receipts are required for reimbursement of fuel. Please make sure all fuel receipts have a date stamp and total amount paid.


Air Travel(or travel by other common carrier)

Once a Travel Authorization (TA) number has been obtained, the traveler calls an approved travel agency and buys the ticket. The travel agency bills the ticket to the agency's Event card. Accounts Payable staff reconciles and pays the bill, charging each ticket plus any agency service fees to the departmental Banner ORGN and Account identified on the Travel Authorization form.

Baggage Charges

Colorado Mesa University will reimburse charges for the first checked bag, but any charges for additional checked bags will be the responsibility of the traveler. For information on the checked bag charges by airline, please visit the sle

Internet Airfare

Travelers may wish to take advantage of favorable Internet airfares. The use of Internet airfares is permissible if the Internet fare will achieve a cost savings as compared to purchase through an approved state travel agent. If you choose to purchase internet airfare, here are a few things to keep in mind:

  • The traveler must purchase the Internet ticket using his or her individual U.S. Bank OneCard. The traveler accepts full responsibility for changes or cancellations to the Internet ticket in accordance with the restrictions for that specific ticket and Internet site.
  • The traveler will not be reimbursed for the internet ticket charge until after he or she has returned from the trip.
  • Be sure to print out a receipt at the time of the purchase of the ticket and save it as you will need to provide this with your Travel Expense Voucher in order to be reimbursed the expense.

Air Travel Required Information

When making airline reservations through the Travel Society, the agent will need the following information on ALL TRAVELERS, including candidates or recruits:

  1. Name as it appears on the person's drivers license and/or passport.
  2. Home address.
  3. Home phone number.
  4. Cell phone number.
  5. Work phone number.
  6. Email address of passenger.
  7. Full passport information (for international travel).
  8. Date of birth (for international travel).

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has implemented new standards for traveler identification. As of May 15, 2009 domestic aircraft operators must require and collect the traveler's full name and the date of birth and gender as of August 15, 2009. For international flights, full name, date of birth and gender must be requested and collected as of October 31, 2009.

This information is not optional. Travelers with reservations that do not contain this information will not be permitted to check-in online or via the airport kiosk, but must stand in line to see a ticket agent. Additional airport security screening and/or denied boarding may result.

International Airfares

All international travelers using grant and contract funds must comply with the following:

Use of U.S.-Flag Air Carriers

  1. The General Services Administration issued an amendment to the Federal Travel Regulations in the November 13, 1998 edition of the Federal Register (Vol. 63, No. 219). The amendment related to the use of U.S. flat air carriers under the provisions of 49 U.S.C. 40118, which is commonly referred to as the Fly America Act
  2. Any air transportation to, from, between, or within a country other that the U.S. of persons or property, the expense of which will be assisted by NSF funding, must be performed by or under a code-sharing arrangement with a U.S.-flag air carrier if service provided by such a carrier is available (see Comp Gen. Decision B-240956, dated September 25, 1991). Tickets (or documentation for electronic tickets) must identify the U.S.-flag air carrier's designator code and flight number.
  3. For the purposes of this requirement, U.S.-flag air carrier service is considered available even though:
    • Comparable or a different kind of service can be provided at less cost by a foreign-flag air carrier;
    • Foreign-flag air carrier service is preferred by, or is more convenient for, NSF or traveler; or
    • Service by a foreign-flag carrier can be paid for in excess foreign currency.
  4. The following rules apply unless their application would result in the first or last leg of travel from or to the U.S. being performed by a foreign-flag air carrier:
    • A U.S.-flag carrier shall be used to destination or, in the absence of direct or through service, to the farthest interchange point on a usually traveled route.
    • If a U.S.-flag air carrier does not serve an origin or interchange point, a foreign-flag air carrier shall be used only to the nearest interchange point of a usually traveled route to connect with a U.S.-flag air carrier.
    • A U.S.-flag air carrier involuntarily reroutes the traveler via a foreign-flag air carrier, the foreign-flag air carrier may be used notwithstanding the availability of alternative U.S.-flag air carrier service.

Use of Foreign-Flag Air Carriers

1. Travel To and From the U.S.

Use of a foreign-flag air carrier is permissible if:

  • the airport abroad is the traveler's origin or destination airport, and use of U.S.-flag air carrier service would extend the time in a travel status by at least 24 hours more than travel by a foreign-flag air carrier; or
  • the airport abroad is an interchange point, and use of U.S.-flag air carrier service would increase the number of aircraft changes the traveler must make outside of the US by 2 or more, would require the traveler to wait four hours or more to make connections at that point, or would extend the time in a travel status by at least six hours more than travel by a foreign-flag air carrier.

2. Travel Between Points Outside the U.S.

Use of a foreign-flag air carrier is permissible if:

  • travel by a foreign-flag air carrier would eliminate two or more aircraft changes enroute;
  • travel by a U.S.-flag air carrier would require a connecting time of four hours or more at an overseas interchange point; or
  • the travel is not part of the trip to or from the U.S., and use of a U.S.-flag air carrier would extend the time in a travel status by a least six hours more that travel by a foreign-flag air carrier.

3. Short Distance Travel

For all short distance travel, regardless of origin and destination, use of a foreign-flag air carrier is permissible if the elapsed travel time on a scheduled flight from origin to destination airport by a foreign-flag air carrier is three hours or less and service by a U.S.-flag air carrier would double the travel time.

Lodging costs may be reimbursed at the single room rate up to the actual amount incurred by the traveler. The traveler should make every effort to obtain the lowest-cost lodging possible. In the case of a conference, the University permits the employee to stay at the conference hotel instead of seeking the lowest rate available.
Employees traveling on official University business may claim up to the meal per diem established by the State of Colorado for their destination city per Colorado Mesa University Fiscal Rules 5-1: Travel .

In order to determine the per diem, please go to State of Colorado Per Diem.

Use Appendix A1 (Domestic CONUS Per Diem Rates) to determine your per diem for the contiguous United States. First look up your destination by state and then the city. If there is not a listing for your destination city, then look for the county. If the county is not listed, then the per diem rate will be the base rate of $51 per day.

Use Appendix A2 (Allocation of Domestic CONUS Per Diem Rates) to determine the break down per meal for per diem rate. This used to be called the Maximum Allowable Meal Rates.

Use the other appendices for other destinations at the State of Colorado Per Diem link.

  • If a meal is provided as part of a conference fee, the meal shall not be claimed for reimbursement unless the meal is determined to be inadequate by the traveler.
  • If a meal is provided by a commercial carrier as part of the transportation ticket is deemed inadequate by the traveler, then the per diem for that meal can be claimed.
  • The authorized incidental expense per diem may be claimed for any full or partial day of travel. This expense is to be used for personal phone call, miscellaneous incidental tips such as bellhops and maids, and other miscellaneous items.
  • Under no circumstances shall an employee claim more than the established per diem rate.
  • The per diem amount is a daily amount rather than an amount assigned to individual meals.
  • In the event only part of a day is spent traveling either going to a destination or returning, then the traveler will be reimbursed a partial amount. This amount will depend on the individual meal rate for that day.


If a traveler leaves and returns in a single day, meals will not be reimbursed.


An individual traveling on state business does not need to provide meal receipts.

If a group is traveling, then itemized, original meals receipts are required for reimbursement. Also, please note you may not claim per diem for each person in the group in this instance.

  • Tips will be reimbursed for groups up to 20% of the total exclusive of taxes.

Conference/event registration fees are to be paid by a OneCard. These charges should be charged to Account 7150 and not to one of the travel expense accounts.