Skip to main content

For Colorado Mesa University students considering an exchange to another school, there are several things to consider:


You must be a full-time student in good academic and financial standing with a minimum GPA 2.5. In addition, you must be enrolled in at least 12 credit hours for the duration of your exchange.

Choosing a School

When looking at schools, consider your major and the classes you'd like to take on exchange as well as what sort of place you would like to live or opportunities you would like to take advantage of while on exchange. On the official National Student Exchange website, you can search schools that have the major you are interested in as well as access to websites and catalogs of exchange schools.

Other Considerations

A flexible academic plan is key to planning a successful exchange. Before going on exchange, you will choose the classes you want to take and have them approved so that they are guaranteed to transfer back to CMU. Nursing and education programs are closed on NSE and some programs at certain schools are very competitive and difficult for NSE students to get into. Be sure to research such things beforehand.


The application process for the NSE program is done through the Registrar’s Office. The process involves the Application for Exchange, two letters of recommendation, a brief personal essay, a budget worksheet, an unofficial transcript, and an application fee. Contact the Registrar’s Office to obtain these forms and for more information. The application deadline for the Fall and Spring semesters is February 23rd.

Paying for Exchange

Students can choose from two payment plan options if their chosen school offers both. Under Plan A, the student will pay in-state tuition to the host school and is eligible to apply for financial aid and scholarships at the host school. If choosing Plan A, the student should list the host school's code on the FAFSA. The student is responsible for room and board according to the host school's fees and policy.

Under Plan B, the student will continue paying tuition and fees to CMU and will still be eligible to receive financial aid, scholarships, and the COF (if applicable) while on exchange. The student is responsible for room and board according to the host school's fees and policy.

Aside from tuition, other costs to be aware of are traveling expenses, living expenses, transportation, and additional program fees that the host school may require.


Some schools require NSE students to live on campus, others strongly encourage it, and some have very limited on campus housing. Be sure to research the housing requirements of the host school.