Skip to main content

I need to work while I'm in school. What can I do?

The Office of Financial Aid has three different ways to help you secure employment: work-study, student assist and off campus jobs.

  • MAVworks (Work-Study): Federal, state funds and university funds available to students for part time employment. Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for funding.
  • Student Assist: Students are paid through the department's budget. It is not necessary for the student to complete the FAFSA.
  • Off campus jobs: Students may pursue employment opportunities with local businesses.

Do I have to have work-study to work on campus?

No, many of our on-campus departments can hire students using Student Assist. 

How do I find an on-campus job?

Look on Handshake and filter on-campus jobs in your search for employment.

If you were awarded work-study you can further filter your on-campus job search by selecting All Filters and checking the Work Study box. This will show you on-campus jobs meant for only work-study eligible student employees. 

How do I obtain work-study funding?

If you complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), you may be awarded work-study funds. Your award offer will list Work Study as one of the types of aid, along with any grants and loans for which you are eligible. You must "accept" your work-study offer and complete the required terms and conditions before being authorized to use the funds. 

If Work Study is not listed on your award and you are interested, contact the Office of Financial Aid at [email protected] to see if you are eligible. Students that have applied by the priority deadline (March 1) have a better chance of receiving funding.

 What happens to my work-study if I don't secure a job in the fall semester?

Students need to be aware that just because you signed on your award notice that you have "accepted" work-study, this does not mean that you have the award indefinitely. Due to the high demand for work-study awards, students will be given six weeks from the time school starts to find employment. If no action is taken by the student to find work, the award will be canceled. If you need help securing a job on-campus, please contact Career Services.

 How much will I be paid?

Student Employment offers a wide range of positions, which require different degrees of skill or experience. The student wage scale starts at minimum wage for the State of Colorado up to pay rates not exceeding $15.00/hour. Wages are in relation to the type of duties performed and in consideration of other student worker wage rates in similar jobs.

If you are employed under work-study, the amount you earn cannot exceed the amount on your award notice.

Can I work as many hours as I want?

Students are limited to 20 hours per week. The scheduling of hours to be worked will be arranged by you and your supervisor. You can never work during hours that you are scheduled to be attending class.

What paperwork is needed to work on campus?

Once you have been offered an on-campus job your hiring supervisor will email Payroll a Work Authorization Card.

If you have not worked for CMU in the past, Payroll will send you an email to complete a New Hire Packet. Once completed, you will return the packet to the Career Services Department in the University Center.

Required Items to complete the New Hire Packet:

  • Acceptable original I-9 documents (Most common is a Social Security Card and a valid driver's license or state issued ID. Photocopies are not allowed)
  • Direct Deposit Information (Canceled check, deposit slip or official document from your bank that contains your account and routing number. Direct deposit is required by CMU Fiscal Rules)

What if I'm unable to secure a campus position?

Look on Handshake to also find off-campus opportunities and contact Career Services for additional guidance.

Questions please contact [email protected].