Dance at Colorado Mesa University is thriving with an array of dance styles, performance opportunities and travel. Modern, jazz, ballet and tap are offered from beginning to professional levels. Other courses include composition, improvisation, repertory performance, pedagogy, history, lighting, critical analysis, rhythmic analysis and the healthy dancer.
The faculty members have professional backgrounds in all forms of dance and music theatre. With two formal concerts and two informal concerts each year, Colorado Mesa University provides students with a chance to choreograph original works and to dance for and with visiting guest artists from the professional dance world.
Colorado Mesa dance students travel throughout the United States to share the art of dance with other universities and colleges. Dance at CMU features classes with a strong emphasis on positive reinforcement from challenging professors. It is a place where dancers can establish lifelong relationships as they strive for excellence in the art of dance.
The Dance program at Colorado Mesa University has experienced explosive growth both in interest and participation in recent years. The program receives immense support from the community and is complemented by several brand new facilities in the university's performing arts complex, including a beautiful, state-of-the-art dance studio which was completed in the fall of 2009.
The dance concentration at Colorado Mesa University is designed to prepare students in a wide range of dance disciplines. While maintaining the foundation training of ballet and modern, the program emphasizes the many styles of jazz and tap for those with an eye on a career in the professional world of dance.
Curriculum provides courses in the background and understanding of dance forms, the creative process and the application at performance level.
Small Class Sizes
• Most classes have a limit of twenty students per class
Guest Artist Program
• At least one guest teacher/choreographer per semester
A Curriculum That Produces Well-Rounded Performers
• Attend core classes in ballet, modern, jazz and tap
• Additional opportunities in hip hop, ballroom and improvisation
• Academic courses in Dance History, Music, Choreography, Dancer Health and Pedagogy
An Emphasis on Professionalism
• Full-time faculty members hold MFA degrees in dance and have had professional careers in the field of dance
• Regular travel to the regional American College Dance Festival
• Past students have taken group trips to major dance hubs, such as in New York City and Las Vegas
Dance Program Information:Megan Glynn 970.248.1477