As a member of the National Collegiate Honors Council, the Academic Honors Program offers highly motivated undergraduates enriched studies in their academic major. Completion of honors requirements varies by academic program, but each includes opportunities for students to actively engage in more advanced study through coursework and a capstone project that can include research or creative work presented in a scholarly venue. Students completing a program's academic honors requirements are recognized at CMU's Commencement Ceremony.
Qualifications and Requirements
Application Process and Qualifications for All Academic Programs
Students seeking participation in an Academic Honors Program must have earned at least 45 semester credit hours with a minimum 3.5 grade point average (GPA) at the time of application. An application process occurs each spring semester, and interested students should contact the Academic Department Head for the application deadline. In addition to the credit hour and GPA qualifications, an applicant also should submit:
• a summary of no more than one, single-spaced page that
-details the applicant's scholarly background, community and/or University service, and academic awards; and
-describes briefly why s/he is applying for an academic honors program of study.
• meet any additional requirements, as applicable, that are outlined in the program-specific information that follows.
Admission to the Honors Program is competitive. Applications will be reviewed by faculty members in the appropriate program/department, and students will be notified on their acceptance status within the timeframe indicated in the program-specific information.
Requirements of All Academic Honors Programs
All students completing an Academic Honors program of study are expected to complete a senior capstone activity. The activity can range from an honor's thesis to a creative work to an undergraduate research project. Second, students must present the results of their activity in a scholarly venue approved by their Academic Honors Program advisor (e.g., CMU's Student Showcase, a regional meeting for the relevant discipline). Finally, some academic honors programs have additional requirements of their students which are outlined, as relevant, in the program information that follows.
Application Process and Qualifications Specific to the Theatre Arts Honors Program
• Be a declared major.
• Earn and maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5.
• Submit nominations from two faculty members from the Department of Theatre Arts that address the student's potential for honors-level work.
Note: Admission will normally be granted at the time of the sophomore review.
Requirements Specific to Theatre Arts Majors:
• Complete THEA 4XX: Honors Seminar (3 credit hours). During their junior or senior years, honors students must complete a 3 credit course which covers a number of the essential theoretical texts of Theatre or Dance. This course will be offered alternate years in spring semester.
• Complete THEA 4XX Independent Honors Thesis (3 credit hours). During their senior year, in conjunction with the capstone course or other major project, Honors students will complete an extended (15 to 20 page) paper analyzing the major creative project and including historical/cultural/production research. The project will be under the direction of the faculty-of-record of the capstone or major project.
Name: Professor Timothy Pinnow