The elementary licensure program provides teacher education candidates broad field content knowledge and prepares them as teachers for grades K-6. Candidates must have a major in Liberal Arts with an English, Mathematics or Social Science content area emphasis.
Basic Program Admission Requirements
- Before a student may register for any upper level education courses, s/he must have been formally accepted into the Center for Teacher Education Program through a thorough application process.
- A minimum of 60 credit hours of general education and content area coursework must be completed with a minimum GPA of 2.80 before a candidate may apply for admission to the Center for Teacher Education elementary licensure program.
- Elementary education students must complete ENGL 111 and 112, PSYC 233, SPCH 102, and EDUC 211 with a grade of "B" or better and MATH 105 with a grade of "C" or better prior to commencing the upper level education sequence of classes.
- All coursework must be completed prior to internship.
Elementary Program Sheets:
- Elementary Education: English Emphasis
- Elementary Education: Mathematics Emphasis
- Elementary Education: Social Science
Regional Cohort (Online Elementary Program)
The Center for Teacher Education offers an opportunity for students to pursue a career as an elementary education teacher while continuing to live in their Colorado community. The program provides students access to a Bachelor of Arts degree with elementary education licensure using a cohort model. The four semester sequence is designed for students to complete the degree through online and computer-based coursework. Students are typically placed within our 14-county western slope community of school districts.
View upcoming cohort events on our Dates and Events page.
Students should meet with a Center for Teacher Education advisor as soon as possible in order to obtain information specific to the elementary education licensure program.
Files are available in Adobe Acrobat .pdf format. If you are unable to view the files, please download the free version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.