Application Process and Qualifications
General: Students seeking participation in an Academic Honors Program must have earned at least 45 semester credit hours with a minimum 3.5 grade point average (GPA) at the time of application. They must also be a declared major in the Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences. We accept applications each spring semester. Interested students should contact SBS Department Head Dr. Jessica Herrick for the application deadline. In addition to the credit hour and GPA qualifications, applicants must also submit:
- the application form; and
- a summary of no more than three pages that:
- details the applicant's scholarly background, community and/or University service, and academic awards; and
- describes briefly why s/he is applying for an academic honors program of study.
Qualifications Specific to the Social and Behavioral Sciences (SBS) Honors Program: Students seeking participation in the SBS Honors programs must:
- be a member of their discipline's Honors Society or a member of Phi Alpha Theta; and
- obtain permission from a SBS faculty member who will be the director of their Honors project.
General Requirements: All students completing an Academic Honors program of study are expected to complete a senior capstone activity. The activity can range from an honor's thesis to a creative work to an undergraduate research project. Additionally, students must present the results of their activity in a scholarly venue approved by their Academic Honors Program advisor (e.g., CMU's Student Showcase, a regional meeting for the relevant discipline).
Requirements Specific to Majors in the Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences (Criminal Justice, History, Political Science, Psychology, Social Work, and Sociology):
- 6 credit hours hours (two semester) honors research course, offered annually, plus monthly colloquia;
- Minimum 3.5 GPA in the major.
Name: Dr. Jessica Herrick, Department Head, Social & Behavioral Sciences