Skip to main content
Western Colorado's Selective University

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to live on campus?

Please see our residency policy.

How can I get an application and information?

Prospective students can apply online at any time for housing once the application has become active. The housing application should be filled out completely and submitted online with the $25 non-refundable application fee and $125 deposit ($150). Applications without a deposit or contract on file will NOT be processed. Students under the age of 18 are required to have a parent or guardian sign to agree to the contract terms.

What are my living options?

View our residence halls.

What is included in the room?

Each room on campus has extra-long twin size mattresses. North Avenue, Grand Mesa, Bunting, Walnut Ridge, Orchard Avenue, Monument and Piñon Halls have moveable furniture including bunkable beds, desks, desk chairs and wardrobe space. Rait and Tolman Halls have furniture mounted to the walls that cannot be moved.

Why didn't I receive one of my three preferences?

We coordinate our placements on a first come, first serve basis. The earlier you turn in your application, contract and $150 deposit, the more likely you are to receive your desired hall/room.

What if I don't like/want my housing assignment or roommate?

Hall or room changes can take place if a problem arises that cannot be solved in any other manner. We encourage roommates to complete a Roommate Contract (provided at the first floor meeting) and discuss any concerning issues with each other before asking for a room change. All hall/room changes need to be granted through the Area Coordinator or Hall Coordinator.

How do I find out my room and roommate assignment?

Residence Life sends this information via email and postal mail prior to your arrival on campus. You can also check your assignment on the MyHousing page by logging in using your MAVzone username and password. The information includes your hall/room assignment as well as your roommate's name, home address and telephone number. We encourage you to contact your roommate before the semester begins to discuss furnishings as well as living habits.

Can I stay on campus over breaks?

All residence halls are open during the breaks. Fall to spring room assignments do not change - the student may enter or leave their hall any time at their discretion.

Is there a deadline for submitting the Residence Hall application?

No. However, as soon as you have made the decision to attend CMU, we suggest that you submit your Residence Life application. We assign rooms based on the the date we receive the applications and deposit; therefore, the earlier you submit your application, the more likely you will get your preferred room assignment.

Can I submit my housing application before I have been officially admitted to the university?

Yes, we can accept Residence Life applications before you have been officially accepted to the University. Be advised that processing of the application does not constitute approval of academic admission to Colorado Mesa University.

What is my ID number on the application?

Your ID number is the student ID number assigned to you when you’re admitted to CMU. If you don’t know your student ID, use your social security number.

What meal plan options do you offer?

Learn more about our meal plans.

What do I do about parking? What do my guests do about parking?

Please visit Parking Services to purchase a residence hall parking pass and for information about guest passes.

What is the Residence Hall Visitation Policy?

A guest is any person who does not live on campus or in your residence hall/apartment and is visiting you. You are ultimately responsible for your guest’s actions and it is also your responsibility to inform your guest(s) of any and all Residence Life policies and procedures. You will also explain to your guest(s) that they must adhere to all federal, state, local laws and Colorado Mesa policies or they will be asked to leave immediately from the residence halls/apartments. You can also be held responsible for any and all violations that are allegedly committed by a guest or visitor. If you are in the room when a violation occurs, you may be held responsible for the violation even if you are not directly involved in the perpetration of the infraction.

All guests are to be escorted within the residence hall at all times. This includes: Out of town friends; Other Colorado Mesa students who live both off campus or in a different residence hall; Family. Any guest(s) who wishes to stay overnight has to be registered with the Resident Assistant on Duty of your residence hall/apartment. Registration is required to aid in locating guests in the event of an emergency and to distinguish between invited and non-invited guests. You will inform both the Resident Director and the Resident Assistant where the guest will be staying, if the guest is not of the same sex.

What items are not permitted in the residence halls?

For health and safety reasons, the following items are not permitted in the residence halls: animals/pets (except for freshwater aquatic fish and service animals with prior approved documentation); any open coiled cooking appliance such as toaster ovens, George Foreman grills and hot plates; lighted candles or incense; firearms, pistols, ammunition, and explosives; drugs; alcohol or alcohol containers; waterbeds and hot tubs; connections to outside antennas; and kegs.

What safety measures are taken in the residence halls?

Learn more about safety at CMU.

I have been documented for an incident. What comes next?

The Area Coordinator or Hall Coordinator will read the documentation (Incident Report) and determine if the violation should be handled within the hall or should be sent to the Conduct Hearing Officer/Conduct Board. Either way, you will receive a Notice to Appear email with a date and time and location that you will be required to attend the hearing.

How do I address mail to my student?
Learn how to send mail to the residence halls.

Is it important for me to have a room phone when they already have a cell phone?

Yes. Your room phone is the primary contact method used by Residence Life as well as by other offices on campus. An answering machine is not necessary as voicemail is provided. Ask any Residence Life staff member for help setting up voicemail, or consult the Phone Mail Tree printed in the Student Handbook.

My student is alone in a double occupancy room. Will they be charged the single room rate?

After the third week of school students who are alone in double occupancy rooms receive a letter giving the opportunity for students to find a roommate if they wish, to have a roommate assigned to them or to pay the difference between the double and single room so that they can keep their room to themselves. The additional purpose and benefit of room consolidation is to keep costs down by conserving resources, lowering the number of rooms that require maintenance attention and decreasing the wear and tear.

We value the community and relationships that your student has built with neighbors so we do not ask students to move outside of the floor that they live on. A student may, however, choose to move to another building or floor if they have a friend with whom they choose to live. If there are multiple students within a floor that choose to have a roommate assigned, then the person with the most recent housing deposit received date is the one to move. Room changes involved in the consolidation process are at no charge to the student.

If your student does not return the letter to their Area Coordinator or Hall Coordinator by the deadline provided in that letter, we will assume they are happy with their housing situation and they will be charged the single room rate which is prorated based on the first day after the letter is due.

How noisy are the residence halls?

The primary reason students attend CMU is to pursue an education. As such, we strive to make our residence hall environments conducive to study and other academic endeavors. In all areas, the right to quiet supersedes the right to make noise. We do realize, however, that noise is a healthy sign of social interaction in a community living environment. Because of this, our staff sometimes find themselves in a precarious position – how much noise is too much? Generally, more noise is tolerated during the day, less noise is expected during the evening and nighttime hours. In addition, quiet hours may be designated by hall councils to assist in providing more specific parameters. Finally, we encourage our residents to take responsibility for their own living area and address issues as they arise. This is one of the most effective means of maintaining community standards.

Should my son/daughter purchase renter's insurance coverage?

Yes, your son/daughter should purchase insurance coverage. The university does not carry insurance to protect possessions brought in by students and does not assume obligation or liability for lost, stolen or damaged items of personal property under any circumstances. It is the responsibility of the student to arrange insurance for such personal possessions. (Often a parent's policy can be extended to cover the student's belongings while they're away at university). You can also purchase renter's insurance through National Student Services, Inc.

Can financial aid be used to cover housing?

Potentially. The university directly applies financial aid awards to the student account. Tuition is the first fee to be covered. If there is aid "left over" after tuition has been paid, it will then be credited to other charges, such as housing and dining. The promise of financial aid cannot be substituted for the application fee and prepayment amounts. These are due separately, up front, at the time of application. Rent and meal plan charges are then due each semester.

Are freshmen allowed to have cars?

Yes. Any student may bring a vehicle to campus. Vehicles parked in a residential parking area are required to display a current CMU parking permit. Students who live in campus housing may park in the lots immediately adjacent to their living area, providing there is space.

More questions?

Contact us.