Library User Information
Tomlinson Library staff is here to help you find the information and resources you need for papers, speeches, research projects, and to answer questions that interest you.
For more information about using the library, view our Checkout & Reserves page.
The list below tells you where to start in your search for various types of library materials. Need help? Ask a Librarian!
- Books, reserve items, government documents, and media - Library Catalog, accessible 24/7.
- Special Collections & Archives - View CMU's Digital Collections or our Special Collections page.
- Periodicals - A-Z Journal Finder.
- Periodical articles - A-Z Databases.
- Items not found in our library - Request through Interlibrary Loan.
- Not sure what you need - Take a look at our Research Guides.
Books and media
- Shelved in order of Library of Congress Classification System. Look on the ends of the shelves, and find your call number between the number ranges.
- Location Main: A - Z on 3rd floor
- Location New Books: 1st floor
- Location Special Collections: 3rd floor
- Location Reference Collection: 1st floor
- Location Audio Books: 1st floor Northwest corner
- Location Bestsellers: Alphabetical by author on 1st floor
- Location Special Collections: in Special Collections Room, 3rd floor
- Contact Special Collections & Archives Librarian at firstname.lastname@example.org or 970.248.1864
- Arranged by the Dewey Decimal Classification System
- Call numbers start with either JuvF or Juv
- Housed on 2nd floor to the right at the head of the stairs
- Shelved in order of SuDoc Classification System
- Find in the Library Catalog
- To request, see a Librarian at the Research Help desk on the 1st floor
Periodicals (magazines, journals, & newspapers)
- Latest 5 years arranged alphabetically by title and format on 2nd floor. Earlier issues may be requested at the Checkout & Reserves Desk.
- Newspapers - 1st floor
- Microfilm in filing cabinets on 2nd floor, as well as storage. Request at the Checkout & Reserves Desk.
- Current issues of newspapers and popular magazines are in the Browsing Area on 1st floor.
Audio and Visual materials including Popular Movies, CDs, DVDs, and phonograph records
- Shelved in the Northwest corner of the 1st floor
- Popular movies and other DVDs and Blu-Ray - 7-day loan period
- CDs - 21-day loan period
- Listening and viewing rooms available near the Audio and Visual Collection
Our Checkout & Reserves staff are happy to help you check out library materials or answer questions about your library account. Need help? Ask a Librarian!
- View library privileges, loan periods, and policies on the Checkout & Reserves page.
- Print and media items can be checked out at the Checkout & Reserves desk on the library's first floor.
- Online materials are available for download through One Search and A-Z Databases.
- After hours? Return your books in the book-drop, just outside of the library's east entrance, to be checked in on the day before the library next opens.
View your account and renew eligible checked-out items online from anywhere. Need help? Ask a Librarian!
- Log into My Library Account with your name and MAVcard number.
- Renew Selected Items or Renew All - you will not be able to select items that are not renewable.
- Two renewals per book are allowed.
- Reserve items and Media (movies, VHS, audiotapes, DVDs, CDs, etc.) cannot be renewed.
- A photocopier is available on the 1st floor. Copies are 10¢ per page, and change is available at the Checkout & Reserves desk on the first floor.
- A free digital scanner is available on each floor. Scan to your USB drive, or email files to yourself.
- Print from any library computer to a printer located nearby using your MAVcard.
- A microform reader/digital scanner is available on the 2nd floor
- Silent Study rooms - open seating - 3rd floor
- 25 study rooms available for 2-8 people; all equipped with computers -- reservations needed
- In person in L333 or at the Circulation Desk
- By phone: 970.248.1406 or 970.248.1244
- By e-mail: Library Administrative Assistant
- May be reserved up to one month in advance
- Located throughout the building
- Hours same as the Library
- IT Helpdesk on the first floor