Completing the FAFSA
Read ALL Instructions
- Make sure to thoroughly read each question in order to give the proper answer. Most FAFSA mistakes are made by simply putting your first name in the box that is asking for your last name. Avoiding those simple mistakes will make the processing go much faster and more smoothly.
- Do not skip any questions. If you skip any required questions you will not be able to continue on to the next page of the FAFSA. If you are unsure, please refer to the help icons on the website or contact the financial aid office.
You (the student)
- Your name must exactly match the name on your Social Security Card.
- Marital status - this is the student's marital status as of the very day that the student fills out the FAFSA.
- Drug convictions - If you are unsure of how to answer the drug conviction question, please refer to details online or call the U.S. Department of Education at (202) 266-9988.
- Student's Income and Assets - Student's earnings and taxes as reported on the Federal tax form; 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, 1040X, or Telefile.
- Student Status - the student will be asked a series of yes or no questions to determine their independency status. If you are able to answer "yes" to at least one of the questions, you will be considered an independent student and will be able to move on to fill out the rest of the FAFSA with only your (and spouse's, if married) tax information. Students who answered "no" to all questions must include parents' income information, otherwise the FAFSA will be rejected.
- Parents' earnings and taxes as reported on the Federal tax form; 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, 1040X, or Telefile.
- Report taxes paid, NOT taxes withheld.
- If interest or dividends are reported on your taxes, the principal source must be reported on the FAFSA under investments.
- Report number in household and number in college carrying at least six credit hours per term and pursuing a degree or certificate. Note: Parents are excluded from the number in college, even if the parent is attending college.
Schools where you are applying
- You may list up to six schools that should receive the results of your FAFSA.
- Federal School Code is 001358.
- For other school codes, call the financial aid office of the school you wish to attend or check with your high school counselor.
Signature and Date
- Students and parents of dependent students will need to apply for an FSA ID online. This FSA ID will be your electronic signature.
- You may also print out a signature page to physically sign and mail in to the Federal Processor.
For additional help:
Call the Financial Aid Office at Colorado Mesa University, at 970.248.1396 or 1.800.982.6372.