Skip to main content
Western Colorado's Selective University

Access Technologies & Life Safety

About ATLaS

ATLaS works to maintain a comfortable, convenient, and safe environment. We actively pursue new technologies that make access to areas easier while maintaining the security of your property. CMU has nearly 8,000 locks. To successfully manage access, we have procedures in place that help us obtain the information we need to best serve you, the patrons of Colorado Mesa University. Please see our Access Procedures for more information on access cards and keys, and the responsibilities that come with possessing them.

Access Procedures


Key Request Forms

Key Request Forms are used to request brass keys for access to areas as authorized by individuals having the authority to request for that area. A Director, Senior Manager or Department Head of a workgroup is the only party allowed to sign these request forms. ATLaS encourages signing the document electronically (See how here) and emailing it as an attachment to

Key Request Form

(Download the form, then fill in Adobe Acrobat. Do not fill in web viewer.) 

Key Request Forms are only to be submitted for brass keys in academic and non-residential spaces. If your key, door, or lock is not functioning properly, please submit a work order. Card access cannot be requested on a Key Request Form.

Key Transfers

Key Transfers are used to hand off an office key to another person without having to return it to ATLaS for processing. ATLaS encourages the form to be signed electronically (see how here) and emailed as an attachment to The recipient of the office key being transferred will receive an emailed Employee Key Agreement to e-sign and return to Only office keys can be transferred without being processed directly by ATLaS.

Key Transfer Form

(Download the form, then fill in Adobe Acrobat. Do not fill in web viewer.) 

Key Pickup

Key pickup can be done at the ATLaS office on the corner of 13th & Elm in the Facilities Services compound. ATLaS will notify Designees when keys are ready for pickup. The person being issued the key is welcome to pick up their key during our broad range of office hours. Designees can also pick up keys for those within their area of responsibility.

Card (MavCard, etc.) access is requested through a Designee for each area of responsibility. That Designee then sends a formal request to ATLaS. Students needing academic lab access should talk to their respective professor, who will then work with the Designee. Faculty and staff needing access should talk to their supervisor, who will then work with the Designee.

Academic Access

Access requests take time to process. Designees will notify professors when their students have been given access to an academic lab. Designees will notify supervisors when their employees have been granted access, or contact faculty / staff directly. 

If access cards need to be encoded, the MavCard Office in the University Center will provide that service. Designees will be notified if encoding is required. Do not return to the MavCard Office if your card is not functioning as you were told it should. Notify your professor or supervisor, and the Designee will inquire with ATLaS.

Residential Access

All student resident access is handled by Residence Life. Do not go to the MavCard Office seeking resolution on an issue regarding residence hall or bedroom access. Students should seek out a Resident Assistant for help, or visit the Residence Life office during normal business hours.


Damaged MavCard Replacement (For Employees)

MavCards used by faculty, staff, and student employees for work purposes will wear over time and cease to function properly. Employee MavCards can be replaced at the expense of your department if your supervisor believes that the wear was a result of work-related use. Your supervisor must fill and sign the form (linked below), then the employee can take it to the MavCard Office in the University Center as a voucher for a replacement MavCard. This form DOES NOT apply to lost MavCards.

MavCard Replacement Form

We will have someone staffing our office and available to assist you at these time below. Outside of these times, all staff members may be out of the office or working around campus.


8:00am - 12:00pm


8:00am - 12:00pm


12:00pm - 4:00pm


12:00pm - 4:00pm


8:00am - 12:00pm


You may also:

  • Call 248-1075 to see if someone is available to assist you
  • Email to set a pickup time
  • Walk in and see if we are open

You should only come to pickup an access device after your supervisor or department designee has notified you that it is ready.

Student -- End of Spring Semester 2017



Faculty / Staff








ATLaS is responsible for the unlocking of most electrified doors in academic buildings for events and reservations that are scheduled in the 25Live campus system.


These buildings include:

  • Dominguez Hall
  • Escalante Hall
  • Houston Hall
  • Wubben Science

When requesting a room, you must supply the following details:

  • Requestor name
  • CMU email
  • Phone number
  • Event name
  • Event date
  • Event type (i.e. training, meeting, class, etc.)
  • Primary organization for the event (i.e. department, student club)
  • Expected head count
  • Event start time (including set up time)
  • Event end time (including cleanup time)

For information on how to schedule a room in one of these academic buildings or to submit a reservation request, email


For information on scheduling a room in the University Center, visit the University Center Rental Space webpage.


1251 Elm Avenue, Grand Junction, CO 81501

(Entrance on the corner of Elm & 13th)


Phone: 970-248-1075