As a member of the National Collegiate Honors Council, the Academic Honors Program at Colorado Mesa University (CMU) offers highly motivated undergraduates enriched studies in their academic major. Completion of honors requirements varies by academic program, but each includes opportunities for students to actively engage in more advanced study through coursework and a capstone project that can include research or creative work presented in a scholarly venue. Students completing a program's academic honors requirements are recognized at CMU's Commencement Ceremony.
Application Process and Qualifications
General: Students seeking participation in an Academic Honors Program must have earned at least 45 semester credit hours with a minimum 3.5 grade point average (GPA) at the time of application. An application process occurs each spring semester, and interested students should contact the Academic Department Head for the application deadline. In addition to the credit hour and GPA qualifications, an applicant also should submit:
- an application form; and
- a summary of no more than one, single-spaced page that
a) details the applicant's scholarly background, community and/or University service, and academic awards; and
b) describes briefly why s/he is applying for an academic honors program of study.
Admission to the Honors Program is competitive. Applications will be reviewed by faculty members in the appropriate program/department, and students will be notified on their acceptance status within the timeframe indicated in the program-specific information.
Environmental Science Program: The following additional requirements apply to applicants for honors in environmental science.
1) The applicant is an Environmental Science major.
2) The applicant has completed ENVS 104, ENVS 204, and ENVS 204L.
3) The applicant has a GPA of at least 3.50 in all courses completed with an ENVS prefix.
4) The applicant must have an Environmental Science professor willing to sponsor the honors thesis.
General Requirements: All students completing an Academic Honors program of study are expected to complete a senior capstone activity. The activity can range from an honor's thesis to a creative work to an undergraduate research project. Additionally, students must present the results of their activity in a scholarly venue approved by their Academic Honors Program advisor (e.g., CMU's Student Showcase, a regional meeting for the relevant discipline).
Requirements Specific to Environmental Science Majors: Student must meet the following requirements to receive honors in environmental science:
1) Completion of the major in environmental science with a GPA of at least 3.50 in all courses with an ENVS prefix taken by the student.
2) Satisfactory completion of four credit hours of honors thesis over two semesters.
3) Satisfactory completion of a presentation at the Student Scholars Symposium or other public venue approved by the honors thesis faculty sponsor.
Name: Deborah Kennard