The Academic Honors Program at Colorado Mesa University (CMU) offers highly motivated undergraduates with enriched studies in their academic major. Completion of honors requirements varies by academic program, but each includes opportunities for students to actively engage in more advanced study through coursework and a capstone project that can include research or creative work and presented in a scholarly venue. Students completing a program's academic honors requirements are recognized at CMU's Commencement Ceremony.
Application Process and Qualifications
General: Students seeking participation in an Academic Honors Program must have earned at least 45 semester credit hours with a minimum 3.5 grade point average (GPA) at the time of application and be a declared major in the Department of Computer Science. An application process occurs each spring semester, and interested students should contact the Academic Department Head for the application deadline. In addition to the credit hour and GPA qualifications, an applicant also should submit:
- the application form found through the link at the bottom of this page; and
- a summary of no more than three pages that
- details the applicant's scholarly background, community and/or University service, and academic awards; and
- describes briefly why she/he is applying for an academic honors program of study.
Qualifications Specific to the Computer Science Honors Program: Students seeking participation in the CS Honors programs must:
- Be a declared major in Computer Science.
- Must have completed a minimum of 15 semester hours of upper division Computer Science courses at CMU with a minimum average GPA of 3.50.
General Requirements: All students completing an Academic Honors program of study are expected to complete a senior capstone activity. The activity can range from an honor's thesis to a creative work to an undergraduate research project. Additionally, students must present the results of their activity in a scholarly venue approved by their Academic Honors Program advisor (e.g., CMU's Student Showcase, a regional meeting for the relevant discipline).
Requirements Specific to Majors in the Department of Computer Science;
- Earn an overall minimum GPA of 3.50 and in Computer Science courses.
- Complete 3 semester credit hours of Honors Independent Study.
- Complete a computer science research paper or software project, developed in an Honors Independent Study (3 credit hours) and under the guidance of a Computer Science faculty mentor. The paper/project will be presented at the Student Showcase or similar event chosen by the Computer Science Honors Committee.
- Receive a recommendation from the Computer Science Honors Committee, which will be based primarily upon the presentation/evaluation of the project/ paper.
Name: Dr. Lori Payne, Department of Computer Sciences, Mathematics and Statistics