Welcome to the #CMesaU family as a #NewMav!
It’s official. You’re now a part of the Maverick family — or Mavily! To make sure you’re ready for the first day of class, complete the following steps. As always, if you or family members have questions along the way, don’t hesitate to contact us.
MAVzone is the CMU campus portal, which provides single sign-on and secure access to your personalized information, your CMU student account, your CMU email account, online classes, and network drives. Once your CMU email account is activated, this is how you will communicate will all faculty and staff on campus.
You will use MAVzone to view financial aid status, apply for housing, make payments, look up and register for classes (after your first semester), add or drop classes, check grades, and more.
Using the link and student ID number (700#) provided in your “Next Steps” email, log in to MAVzone, and update your password. If you forget or lose your password, call the IT Helpdesk at 970.248.2111
To confirm your spot in the incoming class, there are a few more steps to complete.
Follow the “Enrollment Checklist” on the Next Steps tab within MAVzone.
In particular, don’t forget to
- Confirm that you will be attending CMU by submitting your $50 enrollment deposit via credit card or electronic check.
- Verify your tuition classification status at the bottom of the enrollment checklist in MAVzone. If it’s not what you expected, contact the Admissions Office at 970.248.1875 to discuss.
- Apply for the Colorado Opportunity Fund (COF) if you are classified as an in-state student (Colorado resident), , which will reduce your direct tuition cost After you apply for the stipend you must "authorize" use of your COF benefit.
- Verify your immunizations and selective service registration to avoid course registration holds.
- Request final transcripts. If you applied to CMU before completing high school or a college semester, or if you have high school AP, IB or any college credit to transfer, please contact your school and request that your final transcript is mailed directly to the Admissions Office, at:
Colorado Mesa University Admissions Office
1100 North Avenue, Grand Junction, CO, 81501
Upon admission, you're automatically considered for CMU's merit-based awards.
Other scholarships, grants, work study and other financial aid awards may require the completion of the Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). We strongly encourage you to compete this application and list Colorado Mesa University's code - 001358 - so your information is automatically submitted to us.
Private scholarships from the CMU Foundation may also be available to you. Students starting in the fall must apply for these by December 31 of the prior year.
Your financial aid award will be posted to your account within MAVzone. Awards are usually available starting in April for applicants enrolling in the fall.
- Review and accept your award using MAVzone. If you are offered loans, you may accept all or part of each loan. If you only wish a portion, state that amount under Accept Partial Amount. Students accepting loans must complete a Master Promissory Note and Entrance Loan Counseling. Parents accepting a Parent PLUS loan must complete a Master Promissory Note and submit a Parent PLUS authorization form.
- Log onto MAVzone and click on the Student Finance tab to check for correspondence from the Financial Aid Office. We may need additional documentation to process your aid. You may also call us.
Freshmen and sophomores who are single, under 21 years of age and not residing with their parents in Mesa County are required to live on-campus.
CMU offers 12 residence halls with various living options, themed communities, and multiple dining plans.
Students starting in the fall may apply for housing online beginning January 20. Apply early as applications are given priority based on the date your completed application is received. Please note cancellation dates in the contract. A completed housing application includes the application, housing and dining contract and housing deposit.
To apply, visit the Residence Life section of the Next Steps tab in MAVzone. Have a first, second and third choice of housing in mind. Room assignments are based on the date your housing application, contract, and deposit were received. Also make sure your lifestyle choices listed in MyHousing are current. Next, choose your roommates, suite-mates or apartment-mates. Set up your "Roommate Group" (if you have one) prior to your online room selection lottery time. If you don't know anyone, that's okay!
After you have applied, you may revisit MAVzone to view confirmations, which are generally sent within two weeks after your application is received.
If you questions about on-campus living, would like to appeal to live off campus please contact the Residence Life Office at 970.248.1536 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
At orientation, you will:
- Meet with an academic advisor and register for classes;
- Attend informative sessions;
- Learn how to get involved with campus activities;
- Get your MAVcard (student ID);
- Take a tour to become familiar with campus, and more
All incoming, first-time students from Colorado are required to attend orientation. Out-of-state students and transfer are strongly encouraged to attend, but not required. Out-of-state and transfer students not attending an orientation should contact the Advising Center to schedule an appointment to register for classes over the phone.
Transfer students are invited to attend a special reception "Power in Pursuing" offered Friday evening before Saturday's orientation.
Prior to registering for courses, please check your official evaluation of credits:
- Log in to MAVzone
- Click on the "Student Academics" tab
- Click "View Your DegreeWorks Report"
- If you have questions regarding the transfer evaluation report (TER), please contact the Transfer Manager at 970.248.1905.
To register for courses, transfer students may:
- Log in to MAVzone
- Click on the "Student Academics" tab
- If you're transferring 100- and 200-level classes, work with the Advising Center. Drop-in service and appointments are available, both in-person and via telephone.
- If you're transferring 300- and 400-level classes, schedule an appointment with your faculty advisor. Locate your advisor on the "Student Academics" tab within MAVzone.
As always, Transfer Services is available to assist with registration and navigating MAVzone. Please call 970.248.1232, M-F, 8:30am to 5pm MT.
Registering for orientation
Visit the orientation website for more information. When you're ready to register for orientation, sign up via the Next Steps tab in MAVzone.
Placement exams are an important step required before you register for courses. Visit the Testing Center to determine if you need to take any first-semester placement tests in English, Math and Reading.
As you prepare to make CMU your home away from home, we encourage you to dive in, get involved and make the most of your college career.
Get ready for college-level classes by enrolling in the course "UNIV 101 First Year College Success." It's offered during the traditional semester, or there is a version called the Freshmen Year Initiative (FYI) that is offered one week before the fall semester begins.
View the academic calendar to familiarize yourself with important dates, semester breaks, holidays and exam schedules.
Get involved. Check out the clubs and organizations on campus that you can join. Explore what trips and clinics the Outdoor Program may be offering. Plan to attend all of the Stampede Week events during the first week of the fall semester.