Skip to main content
Western Colorado's Selective University

First-Time Undergraduate Students

Colorado Mesa University welcomes first-time undergraduate students to apply for admission. You are considered a first-time international undergraduate student (freshman) if:

  • You are a non-resident who has or will be seeking an F-1 international student visa.
  • You have completed or are completing high school/secondary school,
  • You have never attended college after high school graduation.

Each student's application will be carefully reviewed for consideration. All international student applicants seeking direct admission to CMU must meet certain academic standards as well as:

  • Show proficiency in English or plan to enroll in BridgePathways®, our on-campus intensive English program.
  • Submit documentation of sufficient financial funds to cover all educational and living expenses for the first full year of study.

To ensure adequate time for processing applications and the delivery of the I-20, international students are encouraged to apply no later than May 1 for the fall semester and October 1 for the spring semester.

Office of International Programs and Services Admission Requirements 

  1. Application - Complete the online Application for Admission.
  2. Application Fee - Pay the $30 non-refundable application fee. Payment options include online or bank draft/money order/check in U.S. dollars only. Please do not send cash.
  3. Official Secondary/High School Transcripts - "Transcript" refers to a course list, grade list, mark book or other document detailing classes and grades.
    • Submit an official transcript in English from the last high school/secondary school attended. A transcript is considered "official" only if imprinted with the issuing institution's official seal or is a certified true copy. Faxed or emailed transcripts are not acceptable for full admission.
    • If the student has taken college or university classes, please refer to Transfer Students. Official high school transcripts must be submitted by transfer students only if you have less than 30 U.S. equivalent credit hours of college-level coursework.
    • If the transcript is not in English, it must be accompanied by a certified literal English translation.
  4. Official Bank Statement(s)
    • Students must show proof of funds for at least $35,272 USD (or equivalent in foreign currency) to cover the first academic year. Fund requirements are subject to change because of tuition increases, cost of living increases, etc. If the student is married and/or has dependents, an additional $5,000 for their spouse and $4,000 for each child must be shown.
    • If you have more than one source of funding, you must submit an official bank statement for each person/source. A financial bank statement is only "official" if it is printed on organization letterhead with the amount clearly displayed.

      Estimated annual cost attendance for undergraduate programs:
      Tuition/fees (30 credit hours over two semesters)* $20,353
      Residence Hall & Meal Plan Average $9,859
      Personal Expense Average $3,500
      Books & Supplies Average $1,560
      Total $35,272

      *Please note that the CMU-CU Boulder Mechanical Engineering Partnership Program has a different tuition structure. Learn more about the engineering program.
    • The chart above reflects the average cost of attendance for a full-time undergraduate student during the nine month academic year. These are estimated expenses. Tuition and fees are direct costs while all other expenses will vary based on living arrangements, major, marital status and lifestyle. These costs are based on the 2016-2017 academic year and are subject to change.
    • Scholarship Opportunity! CMU offers a merit scholarship, worth $8,000 per year, for higher achieving international students with a U.S.-equivalent 3.0 cumulative GPA. Inquire with the International Programs & Services Office for more information.
  5. Notarized Statement of Financial Support - The Statement of Financial Support shows how the student's education and living expenses are to be financed over the course of study.
    • Each sponsor who submits a bank statement must also submit a Statement of Financial Support and have it notarized by a public official or notary who verifies the signature of the person signing the form. Applications cannot be processed until proof of adequate funding is demonstrated. 
  6. English Language Proficiency Requirement - If the student is from a country where English is not the primary language, a student must submit ONE of the following:
    • A minimum TOEFL test average score of 70 (Internet-based) or 525 (paper-based). See TOEFL to learn more or find a test site.
    • A minimum IELTS test score of Band 6. See IELTS to learn more or find a test site.
    • Other evidence of English proficiency, such as attendance of an English-speaking institution. All evidence will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
    • If a student does not meet these minimum English proficiency requirements, international students can attend BridgePathways® at Colorado Mesa University, our on-campus intensive English program. Upon successful completion of the program, students are eligible to study at Colorado Mesa University as long as all other admission requirements have been met.
  7. Copy of Valid Passport

SAT/ACT Test (optional) -

  • The SAT or ACT test is optional but recommended. First-time students who have not taken this test will need to set up a placement exam with Colorado Mesa University's Testing Center before registering for their math and English classes. This ensures that students are placed in the correct math and English classes.
  • Please note that any student wishing to be considered for NCAA athletics must submit an SAT or ACT score.

Send all supporting documents to:
Colorado Mesa University 
Attn: International Programs and Services
1100 North Avenue
Grand Junction, Colorado 81501

Finalizing your enrollment

Anytime during the admissions process but before registering for classes, students must submit:

  1. Immunization records
    • Colorado State law requires college students born after January 1, 1957 to show proof of two measles, mumps, and rubella immunization shots. If the student received a second measles dose prior to July 1, 1992, the second mumps and rubella doses are not required. Please complete this Certificate of Immunization signed by an approved health authority or submit a copy of your official records in English signed by an approved health authority. More information on immunizations.
  2. Proof of health insurance with a clear expiration date. New and returning students are required to, at a minimum, show proof of insurance coverage for a duration of 4 months (the period of one semester) at a time. Options for health insurance include:
    • Provide a copy of proof of insurance from home country (with English translation) along with proof that the insurance is accepted in the U.S. while in a student status.
    • Purchase insurance from an international student insurance company that begins on the day you travel to the U.S.
    • Detailed information about health insurance and options for coverage is provided after acceptance.
    • Please note that current CMU international students must show proof of health insurance for no less than one semester in duration.
  3. If notified by the Office of International Programs of the need to provide a tuition deposit, please see the International Payment Policy for more information and payment instructions.