Colorado Mesa University welcomes international transfer students to apply for admission. You are considered a transfer student if:
- You are a non-resident who has or will be seeking an F-1 international student visa,
- You have graduated from high school/secondary school or received a school-leaving certificate,
- You are currently taking or have taken college/university-level courses (either at a U.S. or foreign college/university).
Office of International Programs and Services Admissions Requirements
- Transfer students transferring from a U.S. or international institution must complete the same admissions checklist as a First-Time Undergraduate Student as well as a few additional items:
- Transfer Verification Form - If you are currently on an F-1 visa and transferring from a U.S. college or university, print and fill out the top portion of the Transfer Verification Form and have the appropriate school official at your current institution fill out the bottom portion. The form can either be faxed or mailed to CMU. The SEVIS release date can be left blank until you have officially decided to transfer and a copy of the admission letter has been sent to your current school.
- Official University/College Transcripts - "Transcript" refers to a course list, grade list, mark book or other document detailing classes and grades.
- Submit an official transcript in English from each institution attended. A transcript is only considered "official" if imprinted with the institution's official goal. Faxed or emailed transcripts are not acceptable.
- If your university credits/degree are from an accredited institution outside of the U.S., the transcript(s) must be accompanied by a certified literal English translation and evaluated by a third party before Colorado Mesa University will review for possible transfer credits. Evaluation is optional but no credits/degree will be considered for transcripts without a professional evaluation. (“Transfer credit” refers to acceptance of a course from the previous accredited college or university to satisfy a requirement in a Colorado Mesa University degree program.)
- Colorado Mesa University recognizes and uses ECE and WES for evaluation services or any service listed at www.naces.org/members.html.
- Official evaluated transcripts from previous institutions will be evaluated on an individual basis after you have been accepted to Colorado Mesa University. Transfer credit cannot be guaranteed.
Transfer Students FAQ
What documents are required for admission as a transfer student?
Please refer to the first-time undergraduate student checklist as well as the additional items listed under the International Transfer Students Students Requirements above.
I have attended another university/college, but did not do well. Can I apply as a first-year student?
No. If you have attended any post-secondary institution in any country, you must apply as a transfer student. However, you can decide whether to start your degree from the beginning at CMU or have your transcripts evaluated for possible transfer credit.
Can I transfer credits from another university to Colorado Mesa University?
Yes. However, your college credits must be from an accredited institution outside of the U.S. and the transcript(s) must be accompanied by a certified literal English translation as well as evaluated by a third party before Colorado Mesa University will review for transfer credits. Colorado Mesa University recognizes and uses ECE and WES for evaluation services or any service listed at www.naces.org/members.html.
Once a transfer student has applied and been accepted to Colorado Mesa University and a professional evaluation of the foreign transcripts/degree has been received, a transfer credit evaluation will be done. A U.S. equivalent grade of C (2.0) or better in each course is required to be considered for transfer credit. Courses will only transfer to Colorado Mesa University from institutions accredited by recognized accrediting agencies, and transfer credit is not guaranteed. Students should be prepared to submit course descriptions or syllabi if requested.
I am a transfer student from a college or university in the U.S. Do I need to submit an English proficiency test score?
The need for English proficiency test scores will be determined on a case-by-case basis depending on the academic progress at the institution the student is transferring from.
I have met all other admission requirements but English proficiency. Can can I still apply? Yes, a student that meets all admission requirements except for English proficiency may apply for conditional admission to CMU and attend BridgePathways® at CMU, our on-campus intensive English program, until proficiency is met. Please note that for graduate admission, students may still be required to submit a minimum TOEFL or IELTS score.